Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 XB12 ss cannot crank and keep burning out the headlight fuse

How did you manage to solve the problem? I am experiencing exactly the same in my 08 Uly.

If your experiencing the same symptom's, go through the suggestions and see if you can track it down, I wouldn't wait for the original poster to answer you. If you do solve the problem, you can be the one to post up the results.

First time poster here. I have the exact same issue and I have looked around and no one seems to have found the solution (or no one has explained how they fixed it). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MULE00 View Post
    First time poster here. I have the exact same issue and I have looked around and no one seems to have found the solution (or no one has explained how they fixed it). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    What have you done to diagnose this?

We had one guy who claimed his horn wasnt working after he had his bike wrapped. After we spent days trying to help him resolve it, it turns out that he didnt have a horn on his bike.

To diagnose that my headlight fuse blows?

I have the exact same problem as OP. Both my headlamps work (low and high beam). When I press the start button, I hear my relay click but if I keep on pressing until the starter cranks (and it won't), the headlight fuse blows. I changed the headlamps for a new set of original ones and the problem still occurs. I have found no faulty ground so far. Battery is brand new from last summer.

I can still bump start her up on compression though so definitely an electrical problem between the starter, the headlight and/or the fuse box.
    Last edited by MULE00; 04-11-2022 at 08:15 PM.

Sir: This situation is NOT related in any way to battery condition...headlight bulb condition......interrupted or faulty ground wire conditions. It is directly related to headlight bulb sockets...headlight bulb wiring...headlight bulb hi/lo switch...starter relay.... starter solenoid power feed wire. All XB starter systems in essence work as follows:
    The headlight system is powered thru the 15A headlight fuse and runs thru the starter relay. The circuit is CLOSED at all times till you attempt to start the motor...then the circuit is OPENED so that the headlight, regardless of HI/LO beam switch position, is extinguished, until starter button is disengaged. The starter button itself also receives a few milliamps of current from the headlight circuit to function.

You'll need to run the following checks in this order to determine where your short-to-ground is and have a few spare fuses on hand till guilty culprit located:
    1-Ignition key ON...kill switch ON....headlight switch LOW beam. Do NOT attempt to start motor. Now move the headlight switch from LOW to HIGH multiple times and see if fuse blows. If so, the fault is in the headlight circuitry and/or HI/LO switchgear assembly. If not, then move to step #2.
    2-Locate starter solenoid feed wire behind front pulley cover. Color is GREEN. Trace to starter solenoid and unplug. Once unplugged, turn key to ON...kill switch to ON...and attempt to start bike. If fuse blows then you have either a GREEN feed wire short-to-ground...faulty starter relay....starter button failed and shorted or starter button single wire circuit short-to-ground.
    3-If all wires...switches...starter relay...connections in above steps pass muster and the headlight fuse still blows, then you have a burned/shorted starter solenoid.
    Those are the precise steps to follow to determine the exact problem. Once determined where the precise problem lies, report back for solutions.
    NOTE: Typically what I do in this situation to expedite things, and have seen it a few times now....is start by simply checking all your headlight wiring and the headlight harness plug...GREEN solenoid feed wire for short-to-ground....replace the starter relay. Said relay crosses over to many Ford and Chrysler A/C relays...plus infinite still available thru H-D dealer system. That relay is what I always replace first.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: This situation is NOT related in any way to battery condition...headlight bulb condition......interrupted or faulty ground wire conditions. It is directly related to headlight bulb sockets...headlight bulb wiring...headlight bulb hi/lo switch...starter relay.... starter solenoid power feed wire. All XB starter systems in essence work as follows:
    The headlight system is powered thru the 15A headlight fuse and runs thru the starter relay. The circuit is CLOSED at all times till you attempt to start the motor...then the circuit is OPENED so that the headlight, regardless of HI/LO beam switch position, is extinguished, until starter button is disengaged. The starter button itself also receives a few milliamps of current from the headlight circuit to function.

You'll need to run the following checks in this order to determine where your short-to-ground is and have a few spare fuses on hand till guilty culprit located:
    1-Ignition key ON...kill switch ON....headlight switch LOW beam. Do NOT attempt to start motor. Now move the headlight switch from LOW to HIGH multiple times and see if fuse blows. If so, the fault is in the headlight circuitry and/or HI/LO switchgear assembly. If not, then move to step #2.
    2-Locate starter solenoid feed wire behind front pulley cover. Color is GREEN. Trace to starter solenoid and unplug. Once unplugged, turn key to ON...kill switch to ON...and attempt to start bike. If fuse blows then you have either a GREEN feed wire short-to-ground...faulty starter relay....starter button failed and shorted or starter button single wire circuit short-to-ground.
    3-If all wires...switches...starter relay...connections in above steps pass muster and the headlight fuse still blows, then you have a burned/shorted starter solenoid.
    Those are the precise steps to follow to determine the exact problem. Once determined where the precise problem lies, report back for solutions.
    NOTE: Typically what I do in this situation to expedite things, and have seen it a few times now....is start by simply checking all your headlight wiring and the headlight harness plug...GREEN solenoid feed wire for short-to-ground....replace the starter relay. Said relay crosses over to many Ford and Chrysler A/C relays...plus infinite still available thru H-D dealer system. That relay is what I always replace first.
    Really well detailed step by step instructions. I’ll do all of these and report back. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. 👍🏼

Hey 34, by any chance, was his name Cooter ?
    Last edited by njloco; 04-12-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Hey 34, by any chance, was his name Cooter ?

Cooter is a smart guy. He once taught a K5 Blazer some pet tricks.

Sit.

1.jpg

Stay.

2.JPG

Roll over.

3.JPG

Play dead.

4.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast