Thread: Is this gap normal? (front axle)

Just had a new tire put on and while putting my front wheel back on I notice a gap between the fork and one side of the wheel. There is no gap on the side with the rotor/brake. I don't recall seeing the gap before but then again I never looked for it. I also am wondering if the pinch bolts look to be at a normal depth or not. I have a bad feeling they are stripping out. My torque wrench never clicked off and I feel like my ft pounds was sufficient enough for it to have done so. Looking around I have seen others that look about this deep, some less and some much deeper. The heads are stripping out too so I'll need to order new ones, just hoping I haven't stripped out the internal threading on the fork. Any advice?

Gap side:

No gap side:

Yes, the axle is stepped to set the wheel and fork alignment.

Inactive
    pinch bolts seated correctly as well

100% correct. My 12 looks very, very similar.

Thanks guys. I haven't been riding much the last few months and haven't been paying much attention to the bike as it has just been in safe storage. Finally getting some maintenance done and getting it back on the road. I appreciate the help.

Inactive
    ^^^^^ that's what we're here for and thanks for taking the time to express your appreciation. if i might also add when working with these front and rear axles, front and rear pinch bolts, and front and rear caliper mounting bolts...don't be afraid to use a torque wrench and small doses of anti-seize. an axle lightly coated with a very heavy bearing grease and installed will always remove itself without fuss. one without can become one hell of a nightmare.

Thanks lunaticfringe. Completely agree on the anti-seize. I used a torque wrench but I think it may have failed since it really should have clicked off but just kept going. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong and nothing is stripped.

I wondered the same the first time I changed my tires. I didn't pay attention before I took them off. I was worried I had done something wrong. But that looks correct.

I always use anti-seize. It's a good thing.

Careful with the torque wrench, if you don't get the click where you think you should. Take it off, and bend the top till it clicks and then try again.

Cheers!