Thread: OK..OK.. Now a clutch issue.

*First I have read almost all post that I could and I have tried all the methods. From the manual to forum post*

I was riding the other day and half way through my ride (stop and go traffic) it became harder and harder to get into neutral. I had to rev it at times to get it into neutral. And as it progressed, it became harder to get into 2nd and back down again, unless I was rev-ing it or at a higher rpm.

I got it home and read up on clutch mechanism/cable adjustments. I have gone to just tightening the screw in until i start to get a little resistance (and necessary cable adjustment). And that resulted in it work ok, until the bike got warm and then it started dragging again. And then, with the clutch pulled in, the bike was still moving. I had to apply the brakes to keep me from moving.

I tried adjusting the screw a little past that and it gets a rattling or knocking sound (sounds like from the mechanism) but still is dragging when trying to get into second.

I thought it was a matter of an adjustment, but I think with manual and forum post I would have found a solution.

I think I may need to take the primary cover off and see if the mechanism is ok...and go for there.

Any insight would be helpful. Just seems like every time I do a "correct" upgrade/mod (brake MC) something else breaks.

Cheers!

The ramp assembly is fairly easy to take of with out taking the primary cover off. If you do take the primary off check for the lip where the ramp goes. It does have a tendency to break. There is a fix for it.

Inactive
    I have gone to just tightening the screw in until i start to get a little resistance (and necessary cable adjustment).
    all wrong.
    are you looking to adjust the clutch pack and cable?

Any chance that your cable is getting old and stretched? New cable solved my problem...I had to readjust my cable every other day...

Inactive
    Any chance that your cable is getting old and stretched?
    not being critical in the least as your knowledge and help is both impressive and well-documented....but a bit of cable trivia for what it's worth: cables do not "stretch" as in the inner cable stretching. it does not. the spiral wound outer cable housing compresses. this is what gives the feeling that the cable is stretching.

^^ Thanks! Although I don't regard my knowledge as impressive - I mostly gather everything from other knowledge forum members :).

And yes - the cable itself does not stretch. If I recall correctly, it was actually coming apart at the lever end.

Luantic - I am following the manual on doing a clutch adjustment per the manual. Both the cable and the clutch mechanism/ramp. So if I'm wrong, please explain why?

The cable is almost 2yrs old. And I lube it as the season starts.

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure the manual goes into how to adjust part of the clutch as accessible from the inspection cover. You may have to adjust there per manual and the the cable in front of the front cylinder. Also - with the inspection cover off you can inspect the ramp (I think that's what it's called).

How many miles in 2 years?

My big question is, what is "lightly bottoms"? "(2) Using a flat tip screw driver, turning adjusting screw (3) counterclockwise until it lightly bottoms." (per manual).

Because I have loosened the adjusting screw "clockwise" just to start fresh. And then I turn it until I start to feel resistance. But this isn't "bottoming out", because I did turn it until it "bottomed" out. But from what I read this is too tight? Because the lock plate no longer sat flush, it sort of wobbled.

I will check take out the "clutch mechanism/ramp" and inspect before taking primary off. I will try to see what the "throw-out bearings look like, if I can from the inspection window.

How many miles in 2 years?
    I didn't put the new cable on till after 3-4 months of riding, after I found out someone had put the wrong cable on it. I had bought the bike at 16k and now have 33k. Mostly ride on the weekends and some times as a commuter, but not much. I am still a new rider, not racking up the miles yet...but I'm getting there.

Cheers!

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...t-Issue-Update

OP solved the problem and posted an update here^