Thread: blowing ignition fuses?

Hey guys so I was driving my XB12r to work yesterday when out of nowhere the ignition system gave out! Shockingly in the middle of rush hour Miami traffic I was able to coast it to a safe spot on the side of the road. I quickly found the the ignition fuse had blown. I put in the spare hopping it was just a fluke, but as soon as I flipped the kill switch to "on" the fuel pump ran for half a second before the fuse blew again. At this point I've gotten the bike home and have started searching for worn wires. So far everything looks good... the fuel pump sounds a little weak for the second before the fuse blows. Could this be because its being starved for voltage by a grounded wire or could the have just gone bad out of blue. The bike sits at a well maintained 20k.

Well, all wires look good. I disconnected the fuel pump lead to try and isolate the issue and it seemed to work. With the fuel pun disconnected it doesn't blow the ignition fuse. I guess the pump went bad and is now shorting out? Dose anyone know what's the best replacement for the pump? I've read Walbro 521, but didn't know if there were better or cheaper options. Thanks!

If it is in the pump, it's probably a wire inside that's chaffed and just needs to be reinsulated - maybe replace a portion. There's a writeup on here somewhere.

Inactive
    ^^^^^ what sirius said. click link below for cross-reference info. a fuel pump destined for the dumpster typically does not blow a fuse but as with anything electrical, nothing etched in stone. also good quality pumps on evilbay for much less than dealer list.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...ference-thread

Sirius totally nailed it! Once I pulled out the fuel pump assembly, I was quickly able to find the problem wire. It had chaffed the insulation on the aluminum bracket the wires were tucked behind, grounding it out. With a little silicone insulation tape and a zip tie, the issue was fixed and will doubtfully happen again. The only real issue was my lack of fore thought. I didn't order a new set of o-rings... I tried to reuse the old ones but they broke apart during installation. So my only option was to order new o-rings, fuel filter, and screen from ASB and wait the eternity of 7 days to have it delivered. Once the parts came in, it was all back together and running great within an hour! Thanks for all the help guys!

So I'm not sure how to post pics. Is it possible through an iPhone? I took a few and figured it might be helpful for anyone that might have a similar problem. Thanks!