Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what is happening to motorcycle culture???

Started life as a 1971 Ironhead Sportster...very similar looking as the 1975 Sporty posted above. After wasting the swing arm pivot, I went all out complete chop and re fab of most the frame while still using original frame VIN. I love my Buell but this is my Motorcycle Culture...to each his own I guess, a lot of purists hate what I did, but I wasn't about to let a good frame otherwise go to waste so I turned it into a hard tail, 8 deg over stock rake, 2" drop in down tubes, rolled back bone, 4" drop in seat height...a lot of hours in the chassis.

Everybody likes something different. But I do agree with lunatic. I'm more towards purest, but some custom jobs are nice. Like the one above. Nice work there. As for Harley, I have never been much into their brand. But the v-rods I do like. I own a 2012 muscle. Its stock. I don't need it flashy or loud. It nice to play on in the curves.that's my $1.28

I agree that the sport has changed, but I'm reluctant to believe it's been for better, or worse.

On the one hand, bikes, gear, & resources for motorcyclists have never been better, & they will continue to improve! This excites me very much.

On the other-hand, & to your point, there has been an exploding segment of riders more concerned with the aesthetic of motorcycling than the ethic of it. While these folks have helped drive overall popularity & innovation of the sport, I agree that many of them have also brought a decidedly douchey element to motorcycling, because of their lack of skill, courtesy, & taste.

Here's an interesting article that proposes the increase in motorcycle fatalities over the past couple decades relates to the growth in the cruiser market which is driven by middle-aged men, many of whom A) are new to riding, & B) tend to park their bikes in front of bars rather than actually ride them. The argument is that cruisers really aren't suited to actual riding so their owners, lacking the skill to tell the difference, are content just to ride down to the bar on them where they are judged by their buddies on things like chrome accessories, leather fringe, & tacky paint jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by go cytocis
    Here's an interesting article that proposes the increase in motorcycle fatalities over the past couple decades relates to the growth in the cruiser market which is driven by middle-aged men, many of whom A) are new to riding, & B) tend to park their bikes in front of bars rather than actually ride them. The argument is that cruisers really aren't suited to actual riding so their owners, lacking the skill to tell the difference, are content just to ride down to the bar on them where they are judged by their buddies on things like chrome accessories, leather fringe, & tacky paint jobs.
    This seems to have been the case up here. Definitely a larger proportion of older new riders; most of which have the means to purchase and insure big cruisers, rather than beginning with a 250cc starter bike.

The rest of world uses motorcycles for transportation rather than an accessory. I would speculate the majority of those bikes are sub-250cc.

One of things that attracted me to motorcycling was the minimalism of it.

Inactive
    themelvster: super cool ride. i like it alot. what the hell is going on in the background? 63 galaxie fastback in one pic...then a 59 ranchero fairlane 500 in another? you in a time warp? :D

GOOD CALL! the Galaxie was the neighbors...59 Ranchero was my dad's he sold it a few months ago. I was raised in the hot rod scene. Choppers and Hot Rods are my thing...however I also wanted a Buell since I was a youngster. My dad had an 2002 S3T and I fell in love. I've never really been into sportbikes until I bought my xb9sx in 2012. But I love the Street Tracker Look, Cafe Racer, Bobbers, Board Trackers, to name a few. Helped my pops build a 50 Chevy custom...chopped, bagged, etc I've also got a 33 Ford truck cab doing a little hot rod out of and a 67 Nova Wagon...pops also has a 48 Ford Panel Delivery and 51 GMC Pick Up...

TheMelvster6 I'm liking the bike low and mean.

I guess I shouldn't have worded it as"culture" changing. Motorcycle culture at its root is being different. And like I said the big wheel bagger bashing is just my opinion. Just wanted to see if I was missing the boat :p

I am not a fan of the bigwheel baggers, but many are. They are no more or less silly than the coffin tank, long girder front choppers of the '70s. To each his own.
    The motorcycle culture has always been just what you make of it. Everyone rides for different reasons.
    For me, I love the machinery first, then the solitude of the open road.
    Like many Buell riders, I do not fit the mold of "biker", "sport rider" or any other stereotype. I love my Buells equally as I do my Shovelhead.
    For reference, I am 60 years old and have been riding for 45 years.

I love that orange williegoat!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast