Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is happening to motorcycle culture???

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but i just don't understand what has happened in the world of motorcycling... particularly the Harley/cruiser sector. I've been tossing around the idea of a second bike that is quite a bit more, laid back i guess, than my buell. I've always liked Road King Classics for some reason. I guess because in stock form with white walls and all they aren't trying to be something the are not. They handle OK for a big bike and are comfy, but not some slouch down lean back ape having dbag sled. So anyways I decide to search through harley's on the local craigslist and for the most part i find CRAP!!!!!!

I mean look @ this (my apologies if you built this bike or like it, this is just my opinion!)

WTF!!!
    I mean heres a 1975 sportster in basically stock form (my first bike was a 75 sportster) IMO pretty good looking bike, so we've gone all these years and got where exeactly????

I just dont get how that blue thing is an improvement over this....

I love the big wheel baggers

I feel the same, is it just that we have run out of original ideas so everything just kind of goes to the furthest extreme? That blue bike is almost comical (would be seen in a comic book/animation). Not sure I need a cruiser yet but my father in law has a '93 heritage soft tail that has a few mod's but mostly stock and I think that thing is beautiful.

I'm with you Buelly the blue one is out of place with that BIG front tire does nothing for the bike. Just my 2cents.

What has happened to moto-culture???

Moto-culture is doing fine... Matter of taste is all together another issue...

Its less about a lifestyle these days, and all about the "image" having a motorcycle gives you.

Inactive
    well said.
    being 61 and having ridden for 51 years now i can tell you these 3 certainties:
    1-bikes in general are better than ever and choices more abundant than at any other time in cycling
    2-car/truck/suv drivers worse than ever for a multitude of reasons. it will take a head of state or very important member of congress to ward off future cyclist carnage. that will come about after their son or daughter or wife is killed by one of these C-suckers operating their onboard electronic bull****....or painting their nails....while driving.
    3-generally speaking "custom" bikes handle, suspend, and brake very poorly. the builders' attention is spent on aesthetics, giant motors, huge wheels, and surfboard style paint and graphics. ask 95% of them to explain rake and trail....and rebound/compression damping to you. you'll receive blank stares.

#3 Is so true, and they are honestly referred to as "Bar Hoppers". They are only comfortable enough to make it to the bar. They have massive motors, but are only good for burnouts… $60K for a bike I can only ride 10 miles, and then get drunk? No thanks.

A motorcycle gives you freedom because it's purpose is performance. On-road, off-road, long-distance, whatever. Once you remove that, you have nothing left.

What has happened to moto-culture???

Agree. I'll add that this is nothing new. Motorcycle design goes through extremes and the most extreme designs usually end up looking dated in a few years. Harley still makes the bikes you like. Just walk into a showroom and look around. If you're intent on looking at used bikes on Craigslist, keep in mind the bikes you see there are one persons idea of cool. Might not be yours.

Baggers are the new "in style" bike. They ( companies and individuals ) will take that to the level where they look like a caricatures of itself. Then the bubble will bust and the next "cool" thing will start. Anyone got a 15' long chopper with a 400+ rear tire?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast