Thread: New Guy w/ Dumb Questions!

OK so I'm new to the sight and have yet to buy my first Buell. I've always admired them and after running through the user rides you guys have some amazing looking machines and now I'm jealous!! But before I buy I have a couple questions that might sound dumb. I'm not new to motorcycles my dad and brother have them I usually ride theirs but they don't want Buells and I do haha.
    First off I know I'm wanting a 2003 or newer lightning cause I like the dual headlight shorter look to them over the the other models. They had the two different style engines correct?? What is the year they changed to the new engine? What are the pros and cons of both?? Which is easier to get parts for?? And if I should avoid one which is it??
    And also how much difference is there between the xb9 and xb12?? Is there a huge difference??
    I'm sorry if these are ignorant questions I just am not sure of what exactly I need to be looking for!! Thank you for your understanding and help!!

Google Buell XB motor differences / changes / model years

*Site

03-05 similar except some bolts & belt system upgraded in 04, don't ask how ( search it) just know it's upgraded

06/07 brass oil pump gear, oil pump internal, trans , swing arm, case mount for oil line, air box inlet. Closed hole in frame, more fuel capacity

08+ engine revamped with larger/lighter crank increased rev limit on XB12, oil lines, added channels to ECM for electronic ignition over point ignition.

Probably forgot some but that's what I remember short and simple.

As for what you should get, whatever's near you and hasn't been abused. All pretty similar and all motors can fail.

If your ready to buy I'm sure there's people selling.

Here are a couple links that may help you out:

Specification

Models

More Model Descriptions

JP

Thank you guys for your quick responsiveness!! Both very helpful!! And saved those links in my favorites so I appreciate it!! Haven't been able to find any even close to where I live online.. I'll be posting a WTB in the buy and sell area!! Once again thank you and any new info is appreciated!! I think I'm going to like this sight!!

Not a problem. Instead of searching Craigslist or eBay one at a time, try using www.searchtempest.com . It's will search eBay and Craigslist all at once based on your location. I'm in Michigan and found an S1 in Illinois through searchtempest.

Good luck finding what you want. Each model has it's own "quirks" so don't be afraid to ask about one through a thread or pm. There's lots of knowledge around here so feel free to use it prior to buying. :D

but they don't want Buells and I do haha.
    ****ery, total ****ery :D

Mrlogix- that's what I was thinking!! Between the looks and performance of the buells I can't see why anyone wouldn't want a couple!! Haha

Send me a PM lol if you want a bike, I am going to sell off a few this spring.