Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tps reset gone wrong

I tried to do a tps reset with ecm spy which i have done before. I got to the point where you go to the "diagnostics" tab and click "reset tps" and then clicked "ok" then when i went back to the overview tab and tried adjusting my idle back to 5.2, it didnt move. Just stayed at 0.0 i have tried redoing it all over from the start but even when i restart ecm spy, it says its set at 0.0. I tried looking online but no help.

It seems as if the adjustment screw isnt working because no matter what direct i turn it, there is no response. But when i twist the throttle it shows up on ecm spy

Sounds like your idle adjustment cable either broke or you backed the screw all the way out.
    I think you'll have to remover the airbox and take a look at what's going on at the throttle body.
    Good luck

Just did that. Its still connected and it turns. Not showing up on the laptop though

I would say something is wrong with you TPS but if you're getting a signal when you twist the throttle then the sensor should be fine.
    Have you tried maxing out the idle adjustment screw? See if that gives a signal.
    This is beyond my limited Buell expertise. If you can call it that.
    I'd try backing it all the way out to zero again. Reset the TPS with your laptop. And see if you get a signal when you start turning the idle adjustment back to 5.2 or whatever you're trying to get.
    Make sure you're not having any connectivity issues between bike and laptop while you're doing the reset. Besides that you've got me.
    Hopefully someone with more
    knowlwdge then myself will chime in.
    Sorry I can't be of more help

I have tried maxing out the adjustment screw and still doesnt show up. And i cant back it out to zero because its already on zero, no matter what i do. I have tried even restarting my laptop and bike

It's pretty simple.... Hook your bike up to ecm spy blip the throttle and make sure it's connected.
    Reset the toss to zero....
    Open the throttle up and hold it at 10.5
    Turn the idle screw clock wise about 4 complete turns ...
    blip the throttle again then close the throttle....
    If it goes back to zero your cable is broke..... If not back it down ( turn adjustment screw counter clockwise) to 5.5....... It's just that simple.....

If the cable is broke the easiest way to fix it is to remove the throttle body. You might find that you backed the screw all the way out... Broke the tip off or just a bad cable......

After clicking the TPS reset button, does ECMSPY still say it's connected? If I recall, you have to click on the 'key' icon at the top of screen to re-establish connectivity when you switch between ECMSPY screens. This is a common complaint. Try this- After clicking on the TPS reset and zeroing the TPS, Toggle your RUN/STOP switch to STOP and back to RUN and then click on the 'key' icon. Then blip your throttle to see if the throttle plate degree value varies. If so, that was your problem.

^^^^^^^^ on the money Tork. Follow what Tork said and you should be fine. You really don't have to toggle your run switch after you switch back just hit the key icon and your throttle readings should work again.

rchuff- You're right. Toggling the run switch shouldn't be necessary, but it helps force a refresh on ECMSPYs coding that monitors the connection to the bike when it signal changes states. Back in the day when I was running early versions of ECMSPY, this would sometimes help cure connection issues so I threw that in there. Didn't know what version of the software jakub7 is using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast