Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 xb12ss suspension set up

I've been digging through the forum for a while now looking for a good place to start setting up the suspension on my 06 xb12ss it has 16000 miles on it. I have come up with little. The bike seems really stiff and likes to start front end shaking at about 100 mph it also has some wobble when braking at low speeds. I've only had the bike about two weeks and the weather has turned cold so I figure this is a good to start trouble shooting the issues. The previous owner said that the bike has always had the braking wobble and he had the local shop turn the rotor the last time he did the brakes. When I get a chance I'm going to have the front tire re balanced he had them put on in the fall. Hopefully it's as simple as a set up change or tire balance. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!

Download

The manual has the stock settings.

There are a bunch of variables......first off..... I very seriously doubt he had the rotor turned..... Stock harley rotors are 6mm and reject harly rotors are flat milled to Ebr 5mm rotors and sold at 1/3 the price... I doubt he found someone to flat mill it.... So your brake chater is bad pads or hardware... The tire hop at high speeds can be the tires...
    Buells can be very finicky... To get the best out of the bike is to set the suspension to your wieght.... Then to your riding style.... I.e if you don't ride hard and feel like your tooth fillings are coming out loosen up your set up (soften it up) a quarter turn at a time...
    Also the key to a buell is matched tires.... Buy front and rear tires at the same time... If you replace just the rear the steering will slow down and the bike will stand up more in turns...

I'm going to pull the pads off of it in the next few days and check them out from the looks of things it's about time for a new set anyway. What pads would be good to put on it? As far as brake hardware what should I be looking for? I did notice the front master cylinder is way over filled I was going to drain it when I do the pads. When I move the bike the brakes don't seem to rub. I need to get some stands so I can get it off the ground and really check it out good. As far as tires I think they are a mismatched pair when I have the cash I'll address that. I just ordered an exhaust from Dean Adams and a few other things for it that it needed so I'm tapped for now but it will still be alright to ride till then.

I'm a fan of galfer double H pads..... Over the stock harley/buell pads... Also pick up some brake cleaner and pull the front rotor and clean the springs and hard wear... And clean the rim brake surface...

The suspension is set crazy tight front preload was at 3 lines and the rebound and compression were at .75 turns out. The rear preload was a set on 7. I'm not sure what the rebound and compression are set on it I'm going to check that in the morning.

Thanks oh9bolt that pdf really helped I have the manual on the way next week thanks to my wife :D

That's a set up for a 240lbs plus rider.... A lot of the dealers would set the "Ss" up for two people.

That's crazy I am about 180 so I started setting it up for that. It's way softer now I'm sure that will help tons with the handling.

Could it being that stiff had a big part in the higher speeds shake? The road I was on isn't the smoothest. The suspension being stiff like that wouldn't react correctly to the bumps on the road at that speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast