Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRHS Stage 2 for 07 XB12R

Hybrid View

So I am stuck in making a decision on weather or not I want to just do the big bore kit and call it good or spend the extra 1100 and go to the full on stage 2 kit that NRHS offers.

I dont race the bike but plan on doing some track days. I would like to have more power however my concern is spending an extra $1000+ and only netting a marginal increase hp numbers....

Has anyone here gone this route? Impressions? Worth the money?

My bike currently has 22k miles and is pretty tired which is why I am wanting to freshen her up. A lot of blow by and when shes hot you can hear the pistons rattling a bit lol.

Any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

Cj

Lawdog how did your build tune go? I have a 04 xb12r and motor comes back from Hammer tomorrow. we did 1250 kit(30 degree domed 10.5:1)RS605/591 cams,crush head work(7mm) with 1.9intakes and 1.6 exhaust, a set of their pushrods10.676x065x3/8intake and 10.730exhaust. I am kinda stressing over the tuning. i talked to tim from ids and in his experience i need to get it on a dyno and tune it. im guessing id have to do a dyno breakin as well. any advice or thoughts ?

I have a fairly similar engine build (just a bit more aggressive) and had gotten the tune acceptable on my own, but not perfect. When I did my engine build, I installed the race tune and upped it by 10% on fuel across the board. I did break in per Hammer's instructions and then started making more specific changes. If you do the same you should be ok. Recently, I bought a Tunabuell from the guy who does the Buelltooth interface and am working through that process now. The only glitch is that for some reason my droid tablet will run for a min or two and quit logging so I am on hold until I get a chance to grab a new tablet this weekend and get back to tuning. The kit installs easily and gathers data from it's wideband 02 sensor and rolls up that data into a log that is sent back to the tuner, he makes map adjustments and sends you an updated tune. This is pretty much the tuning solution we have been waiting on.

https://www.buelltooth.com/tunabuell.html

Quote Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
    I have a fairly similar engine build (just a bit more aggressive) and had gotten the tune acceptable on my own, but not perfect. When I did my engine build, I installed the race tune and upped it by 10% on fuel across the board. I did break in per Hammer's instructions and then started making more specific changes. If you do the same you should be ok. Recently, I bought a Tunabuell from the guy who does the Buelltooth interface and am working through that process now. The only glitch is that for some reason my droid tablet will run for a min or two and quit logging so I am on hold until I get a chance to grab a new tablet this weekend and get back to tuning. The kit installs easily and gathers data from it's wideband 02 sensor and rolls up that data into a log that is sent back to the tuner, he makes map adjustments and sends you an updated tune. This is pretty much the tuning solution we have been waiting on.

Please tell us your experience with this setup. How to install (especially the wideband sensor) communication with tuner and of course, does the bike run better afterwards!!

Quote Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post

Subarubrat....very interested in your progress. I'm considering a similar upgrade, but there are *no* dyno tuners close with whom to take care of the engine.

Did you do cam work as well? Head work?

A quick update from the undead. I parked the bike for several years as I got sidetracked with family. I am getting back into it now and start riding again. After the big bore kit I still didn't have enough fuel. I upgraded the fuel pressure regulator but still ran lean at WOT above 4k with the injectors maxed out. I just installed larger injectors and will completely redo my map over the next several months. Also plan on running dual wideband so I don't have to switch back and forth and save time. I don't ride much so it may take me a while.

Should be no reason to have to swap sensors.
    Once your single wideband sensor is installed, it should be able to datalog for your tuning (while you will be in OPEN loop) and also run as a narrowband sensor for those times you are testing your tune in closed loop.

The only reason to use a front O2 is if you want to build a separate map for your front cylinder.

On my 09 XB12R I run a front O2 with DDFI-3 ECM controlling the front cyl in closed loop (like the 2010 models). However I tune a little bit different. I use a standalone wideband, ZT-2, to datalog. I lock out the AFV to 100, turn off closed loop learn, and swap WB/NB O2 sensors around front and rear cylinders. I tune each cylinder independently. Once done turn closed loop back on and reinstall NB sensors. Now that I am getting back into it I may do things a little differently. I may feed the wideband data into the ECM and datalog from the ECM (instead of feeding data from the ECM to the wideband and logging the wideband). I need to play around with ECMSpy and Megalogviewer and see what options they have. If I don't like it I may just keep using ZT-2, Winlog, and ECMRead which is my current setup. I have been out of the game for a few years so programs may be updated and different from what I am use to. What do you use?

I use ecmspy and mlv.

Nothings really changed in the Buell tuning landscape since ECMSpy, and frankly why would it? No need for any updates, we're just getting older

The Buell ECM can't use (and will ignore) WB data, but it will 'pass-through' that info (un-modified) for datalogging. You're in OL (AFV locked to 100*) so WB/NB sensor won't matter to the ECM.

You can install a WB O2 (rear/front/both/whatever) and datalog into ECMSpy, TunerPro, whatever-you-like and if you aren't done tuning and need to ride the bike in closed loop, the WB sensor controller should be able to emulate a NB sensor for that reason, without the need to change sensors. I'd be worried the NB sensor calibration could change (relative to the WB) after rattling around in a tool box between tuning sessions, skewing your data inputs.

*Cheating OL buy locking the AFV should be OK (with CLL off) but make sure it's still not affecting the EGO. Because CL in the ECM is technically still "on".

Since you tuned it already, you should be able to enable CLL, release the noose on AFV and just ride it, forever, so why the need to "tune" it again? Are you just messing around? Trying to fix something

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast