Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new ECM. mine cracked apart

looking for an ECM for a 2006 lightning XB12Ss long. I don't really NEED a race ecm but wouldn't say no to anything that works at the moment.
    Would prefer a Bone stock ecm that hasn't been dicked with or re-programmed. please PM me or if you know of a website that sells them still (EBR has the race for 300) it would be appreciated.. thanks.

Pm sent

whats the luck folks have had on here with used ecms? wondering if i should waste time and money and just buy a new race ecm from EBR?

input would be appreciated either way. summer is coming up quick!

please define 'mine crack apart'.....

I have bought several used DDFI-2 ECMs and had no issues.

i have been having intermittent issues while riding where it just stops running but usually picks right back up.. rode it enough to narrow it down to after its warm and only when hitting bumps or crosspans. had suspected a loose wire on the plug that was crappy. finally left me on the side of the road with alot of time to yell and scream as it began to snow on me. got it home, checked codes and nothing. unplugged the ecm and checked all the wires on the bike side and all looked good. plugged back in and ran fine.. after a bit more swearing, with the bike running and holding the plug i moved each individual wire while holding the plug and nothing affected it. set the ecm back in place, bike still running, put seat on and sat down and it died. got off and it started right back up. pulled seat off, unbolted ecm and moved all the wires as a whole while holding the plug and nothing. sat on the bike to apply weight like before and still running.
    held the plug portion in one hand and moved the ecm with my other hand and it died.
    looked very closely with a flashlight and noticed that the female plug on the ecm was beginning to seperate from the ecm box. when no pressure is being applied it looks perfect. a little bit of pressure and a gap appears on the top and boom... the bike dies out. no error code, no lasting CEL.
    when the bike is running,a quick bend and release is enough to sputter but picks right up with the CEL for a few seconds, just like start up.
    im guessing that the connections from the plug to the board inside the ecm is shot. dealer agreed that a good place to start is a new ecm

thoughts?

Inactive
    ^^^^^ seat rub? insufficient clearance? confirm because if so you'll have recurring problem with replacement ecm. look for rub/wear marks on underside of your seat and on ecm casing itself. not sure? get a can of Play-Doh and install a wad at all 4 suspect corners of ecm. install seat.....sit...if riding double then sit double.....ride...remove seat and look at play-doh. indentations? marks? if yes your seat is rubbing.

^^ once again excellent advise John. Just for ****s and giggles, once you have identified the issue of what is applying pressure on the ECM, Plug the old ECM (the cracked one) start the bike. While the bike is at a smooth idle with the seat off, apply super glue at the connector on the ECM where cracked. Apply several small drops where you can without moving the module. Shut bike off. Give 3 minutes to cure. Remove ECM as gently as you can, and apply several drops around the perimeter of the connector at the crack that you couldn't reach while it was still in the bike. When cured, replace in bike and check it out. Short rides at first. If nothing else and it checks out ok, you have an emergency spare until you find what is applying pressure that cracked it in the first place. IF it works and you have NOT found the root cause, it will crack AGAIN/WORSE. Do not get far from home, it will break again. Let me know if you do this and how it turns out. Oh yeah, pic's please. Definitely helps to be able to give advice. :D

I got a stock ecm installed and mapped by Harley for $380, I think there is a warranty? They could do a few things to the mapping, such as set for No EAV, and set the idle, I think idle richness or the new map had a different mixture, seems to work better with a K&N filter now. The fan is weird at first but I got used to it quickly.

I did the ecm relocate 2 years before I took it in and glued up my ecm and taped it up and used liquid electrical tape. The mechanic asked why I did all that, and I said I got 20K miles on a cracked ECM, and he said ok, cool.

Inactive
    While the bike is at a smooth idle with the seat off, apply super glue at the connector on the ECM where cracked. Apply several small drops where you can without moving the module. Shut bike off. Give 3 minutes to cure. Remove ECM as gently as you can, and apply several drops around the perimeter of the connector at the crack that you couldn't reach while it was still in the bike. When cured, replace in bike and check it out.
    brilliant john. excellent advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast