Thread: sprag clutch question

Anybody out there have a minute for a sprag clutch question? I am replacing a bad sprag clutch on my 08 1125R. It stopped functioning and there is a metallic paste slurry in the bottom of my crankcase and oil filter. I am planning on changing the assembly next week and will drain the oil, change the filter, start and run for 10-15 minutes (up to operating temp). Then change oil and filter again. My question is when I used to work on old cars and was flushing the crankcasr, I used to put 1 quart of kerosene to 4 quarts oil (1:4 ratio) to thin the oil to flush sludge and build up, then do an oil change. Has anyone else done this on these bikes? If not how did you flush this paste out of the crankcase? Not sure on the compatability of amsoil synthetic and kerosene?

I would use a good filter with a magnet on it, but I wouldn't waste Amsoil for a crankcase flush. I'd use a 20w-50 petroleum oil and kerosene (or trans fluid, or diesel fuel), 2-3 times should make it better without splitting the case. I'd ride it lightly too. Bumps and leaning can only help but clean the sump out.

These motors are pretty dang sturdy.

thanks

When my rotor exploded, i flushed it out using cheap diesel 15w40. Ran the first time 15 minutes idle, drain and fill, road about 10 miles, drain and fill, then 100 miles drained, and replaced with amsoil. I basically kept checking to see how much metallic was in the oil to determine when i was done flushing it. I dont see a benefit to thinning the oil out to catch metal particulates, a think oil with good detergents like diesel oil is designed to catch that stuff

Make sure and drop the pump screen and all too, my bike had clutch fibers caught in that at 3k miles

cool, thanks guys. The purpose of the kero was to help any sludge/metal particulate 'paste' ( that's what it looks like, a metallic paste) breakdown and flow to the bottom of the engine crankcase. Cool idea crash, I had forgot that diesel was high detergent. Thanks for the reminder Cos. That's why I like you guys. :D