Thread: AFV Map reset using ecmspy for emission test

Hi,
    My 2004 Buell XB12S need to pass emission tests in driving conditions for registration in the South Korea.
    The test fee is about $750. Very expensive... so I should make sure everything is ok to pass in the first attempt.

I am going to replace the US stock exhaust to new European stock exhaust which has a catalytic converter.
    To maximizing efficiency of the catalytic converter for minimizing CO,HC,and NOx is needed sotichiometric AFR (14.7:1) in fuel mixture.

I don't care the power of my bike for this emission test so the ECM should always provide sotichiometric fuel mixture.

For making this option, I guess it will always make sotichiometric fuel mixture, If I reset all values in AFV Map in ECM as 14.7 : 1 (sotichiometric) using ecmspy.

1) Is it correct?

2) is it possible make the ECM take always Close loop operation so that the ecm always refer O2 sensor for making sotichiometric fuel mixture?

3) How to reset ecm take close loop operation only?

Many thanks for considering my questions.

What rpm are you tested at? What are the conditions of the test?

The test will be performed on in several driving conditions.
    idle (8 sec)
    acceleration 0 to max (i guess max rpm) then keep max (57 sec)
    deceleration max to 15 mile then keep 15 miles (36 sec)
    deceleration ]15 mile to 0 (6 sec)
    idle (5 sec)
    total 112 sec will be executed. The average emission during total sec should lower than the some CO,HC, and NOx level.

They will put my bike on the test machine then make load with several different speed including idle.
    The test bed will provide wind generated by some kind of fan, and I believe that the test room temperature will be around 70F.
    So I believe that rpm will be vary.

So they are going to hold your bike at wide open throttle at max rpm for 57 seconds????

At idle I can see. That's easy. Closed loop. Run stoich.

The accel and decel from idle to max doesn't make sense. Do they just gently run it up and back down? How fast increase in rpm? You might be hitting enrichment mode.

So do they then bring it back down to 15 mph? In what gear? If you know what gear the bike is in at 15 mph you can figure you if you are in the closed loop region or not.

Regardless make sure the bike is in good running condition and up to temp.

You can tune the bike anyway you want to easily pass an emissions test. But that is not something you learn in 20 minutes reading on this forum and clicking a couple buttons on a program. You need to be a tuner and know how the changes you make effect the bike and emissions. I am sorry but it not something you are going to pick up unless you have the experience as a tuner. Best bet is to make sure the bike is mechanically sound, good tune-up, and up to temp for the test.