Thread: CEL - cluster goes out

OK, 2nd ride if the year, about a half hour into my ride and CEL comes on. Will turn in and off every other minute. Had to make it to my buddy's house, about another 15 minutes, then the whole cluster starts dying, tach, speedo, and mileage die, then Fire back up. Cluster does that intermittently for another 10 minutes until I finally reach the house. Any ideas? Bike felt like it was missing or sputtering a little bit?

Check your charging system. Low voltage does all kinds of messed up stuff.

Kind of what I was thinking, thanks Shawns... Bought a new battery last summer, and bike would start right up, so I didn't think that was the issue. But, it is the cable/connection. Need a bigger brass spacer, cable plate isn't sitting correctly, and I can't tighten the connection enough, before the cable interferes.

Inactive
    what shawn said. if you have a style of battery where the front end attachment points of each terminal are slightly indented from the case you'll never ever get the cables attached properly. appropriate spacer needs to go between terminal and cable. measure that distance. if you don't have the spacers PM me and i'll send you a pair. they are important.

Thanks Fringe, I'll be running to the hardware store. The spacers that came with the battery are not cutting it... Also, buying a new battery strap to hold it down tighter should help.

I believe there is a connector from the stator that will melt if it loosens up from vibration. Might be worth a look.