Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touring Tires

I believe you've made a wise choice. As long as you're independently-minded & not a whore to a particular brand, I'm confident you'll be pleased with the Battlaxes. I hope they work for you & I look forward to your feedback!

the Shinko Ravens went 11k each set, did two sets before trying the Podiums, lasted a little less and now running the Verge, for the money and mileage I've gotten out of them, worth every penny. ran the Ravens through some of the local twisties in north county San Diego, they performed very well for me.

Shinko's...food for thought on your future consideration on your next tire choice

Michelin Pilot Road 4 are the tarz my Ulysses gets. I love 'em.

I'd love to get some PR's, but as I was telling another guy yesterday, I just don't want to spend that money on a tire that's going to get trashed on this horrible paving job.

Regarding Shinko, I've read and read about how heavy they are and sluggish on turn-in. If I come across a set on clearance or something, I'll see about picking them up.

I'm not a brand whore, but I do read a LOT of reviews in magazines, online stores and ask around the local shops. I look at what appears to be the best tire for my application and budget (at the time).

Ditto Dragonslayer,
    I just put a brand new PR4 on the front of my 09 Uly with a fork oil change. Rode it to work yesterday and it was a nice ride. Still have a 190/50 PR3 on the rear and at the rate it is wearing will be another 4K possibly before needing to replace it. This size rear also seems to last longer for the that straight line commuting to work everyday.
    Dragon are you running the Trail version? or are you using GT or standard? Not sure how to tell, it was an after thought as I just bought it off the rack without knowing there were different versions until this thread.

Regarding Shinko, I've read and read about how heavy they are and sluggish on turn-in. If I come across a set on clearance or something, I'll see about picking them up.
    I just bought my set of Shinkos, the Raven 009 for the back and the 005 for the Front. as for weight... maybe if you're on Track you'll notice, but I ride all the time everywhere, and I cant tell a difference. There's nothing sluggish about and I just went through the track course with them. Once they heat up to regular temp (i.e. about 5 minutes in) they're excellent. I bought them off of Amazon and received them in 3 days too...

bought both tires on amazon for less $200 Shinko Verge

The conti motion touring toes don't last long at all. I'm replacing my rear today that has 3000 miles on it and is about to show cords. Best tires I have found so far are pilot road 3's 8000 miles, and shinko ravens at 10,000 miles.

The uly is getting a raven rear today. Front road 3 is at almost 12,000 miles and still looks good. My old xb9 raven front tire is at 15,000 miles and still looks really good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12