Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1190CR

Here's a pic of where it's leaking

And here's the puddle under. Damn sure looks like antifreeze mixed with oil. Boo I'm guessing blown head gasket? Is this why it blew out the clutch gasket? Too much pressure?

Is there anything I could have messed up when I installed the engine? I'm really trying hard to stay calm, but if the douche mechanic did this I'm going to be a handful.

I did replace the clutch cover gasket, replaced the clutch, and replaced the water pump gasket. I really don't know how I could have messed it up though....

Don't do anything else until Monday. Call EBR and get clarification on what the CR should be. I'm betting it's nowhere close to 17:1.

I was asking about the CR because they tweaked it between the 1125-1190RS-1190RX/SX. They only changed it by less than 0.9. 14:1 is the cut off for pump gas on a naturally aspirated engine with out getting into detonation. Our bikes are on the hairy edge then backed off just a hair. That's one of the reasons they run hotter than other bikes. I was just wondering about how they addressed the squish area of the combustion chamber for the quench effect with the overbore.

Either they didn't torque cylinders/heads correctly or they didn't space the ring gaps correctly or something. Gaskets/improper torqueing are a good bet. Even if they didn't get the ring gaps correctly spaced, the excess pressure in the crankcase shouldn't put water in the oil, but oil in the water. To blow a gasket from excessive crankcase pressure would exceed the water pressure and relieve the pressure into the cooling system, not the other way around.

I wouldn't even crack the engine again until the oil has been changed and the gaskets replaced. Take off the oil filler cap when you try to restart again to vent any possible crankcase buildup of pressure just in case the gasket wasn't the root cause. I would want a compression check (bleed down) after the repair just to make sure before I tried to restart. Just for ****s and giggles I would also want to pressure check the cooling system. It wasn't designed for pressures exceeding 20-25 PSI.

Sorry you are having gremlins. I plan on doing this same mod on my spare engine.

I posted up on the other buell site and a gentleman says the only other place the oil and coolent could mix would be the main engine gasket that separates the cases up near the middle of the 2 cylinders. The exact same place I just had the cracked motor mount on the left side between the two cylinders welded back together which is why I dropped the motor out in the first place. ugh #! $@$#//&/'! $ so.......

Ouch:(

So you have a cracked case?

that sucks, sorry for the bad news. Really looking forward on you posting the feel of the 1190 with the EBR map. Keep us informed, please.

Not a cracked case, the top of the left motor mount between the cylinders had a crack which is why I had it out of the bike to have welded

After talking to a welder and mechanic, it seemed like a perfect time to install bbk in case any heat got to the cylinders. Unfortunately I'm pretty f'n sure heat got to something as this is what just came outa the engine

so now it's back to the drawing board. will 08's lower end be compatible? Do I have to have an 09 block? Is it even worth it to rebuild this engine with a welded cracked mount or switch top ends with another motor? Will the ecm be compatible?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast