Thread: looking for parts for my xb12r after a nice wipeout ðŸ˜*

I am looking for a shifter ,shifter shaft, primary cover and a shifter drum any help locating some used parts would be great . Since I'm cracking the cases I might be looking for a big bore kit as well a guys got to dream right .thanks for looking

I got your message give me a day to go through what I have and we can work something out.

Ok thanks man

Unless you really know what you're doing, with ECM tuning, the big bore kit won't give you that much of a grin factor. The tuning can be a PITA.
    NOW.,. getting your crank lightened and balanced! That will totally transform the feel of your motor!

Ah edit * it appears I can not read well :)

BTW I speak from experience with my 1250 kit with added head work, cams, lightened and balanced crank. Personally I think I would have been happy with just the lighten and balanced crank.
    Even happier with all the money I would have saved!
    The new smooth and quick revving crank seems to give the most significant seat of the pants performance feel.
    The other extras seem lost in translation.
    However, I will admit, I still have some tuning to do. I'm just not that good at it.
    If you go with a 1450 kit. The REAL big bore. Just beware, I hear tuning for the street is very difficult.

Thanks for the input chicknstripn I was really just dreaming obout the 1250 kit . For now I'm on a budget. But a lighter balanced crank makes sense . I'm just hoping to get this bike back together .I'm having trouble locating parts .

Honestly, you really won't know what you need inside the transmission until you split the cases and have the transmission out. Then you'll be able to do a thorough inspection of the gears, shift forks and dogs. You might not need as much for the rebuild as you think you do.
    BTW what year is your bike, how many miles and what kind of shifting issues are you experiencing?

Hey chicknstripn its a 2005 xb12r Firebolt I split the cases and found a damaged shift drum and worn dogs on the transmission the bike has over twenty-five thousand miles on it. This all started after I experienced the bike popped out of gear and free spun under power then slammed back in third gear on it's own. I could still ride the bike after that but shifting was stiff between second and third also my shifter doesn't Detent Return to center like it should . Then I took it for a slide on the primary side so now's the time to fix it all if I can locate parts

Ok. Thanks for the back story. Did you read the thread about an individual that rebuilt a transmission then couldn't get it to shift past third? The issue was the case bolts were over torqued. There have been a couple cases like that.
    I believe your transmission is totally different than mine. I have an 07. I'm pretty sure your shift forks and shift drum are different. Not sure about the gears and dogs. Have you tried http://www.surdyke.com yet? I got almost all my transmission parts from them when I rebuilt mine. In my case the roller bearings, spacers and clips were dealer only parts.
    If you can't find good used pats go with brand new. Especially with the shift forks and shift drum. I say this only because I know the shift drum on a 2005 is aluminum or something and tends to wear quite quickly. Also the forks wear to the transmission. Manual recommends replacing all of them as a set if you're having an issue with just one. That's what I wound up doing.
    Good luck man. Let us know what you decide to do.