Thread: code 16/code 24-25

maybe someone can shine some light on this i have a 2003 xb9s 8k on it/i guess the last 2 yrs they put 300 miles on it/had a dead battery so i replaced it with a good made in usa one/i thought the coil might be bad so i got a near new one from maxsalvage and installed NGK DCPR8EIX plugs. this bike still will flash the cel light. the service manual says to remove codes it has to start up 50 times?is there anyway to clear them?this is my first buell its impressive but this is really weird.

Inactive
    below are the codes. NGK DCPR8EIX is one heat range hotter than i normally recommend. just keep that in mind.
    ecmspy is the only way i know of clearing the stored codes on your 2003 XB. you can purchase the program and the patch cord from various internet sites or perhaps you live near another bueller who has it and can assist. if you're in or near southern PA bring it by my shop and i'll run diagnostics and clear the codes for you free of charge.

11 Throttle position sensor 4.16 TROUBLE CODE 11
    13 Oxygen sensor 4.17 TROUBLE CODE 13
    14 Engine temperature sensor 4.18 TROUBLE CODE 14
    15 Intake air temperature sensor 4.19 TROUBLE CODE 15
    16 Battery voltage 4.20 TROUBLE CODE 16
    21 Interactive muffler control 4.21 TROUBLE CODE 21
    23 Front fuel injector 4.22 TROUBLE CODES 23 AND 32
    24 Front ignition coil 4.23 TROUBLE CODES 24 AND 25
    25 Rear ignition coil 4.23 TROUBLE CODES 24 AND 25
    32 Rear fuel injector 4.22 TROUBLE CODES 23 AND 32
    33 Fuel pump 4.24 TROUBLE CODE 33
    35 Tachometer 4.25 TROUBLE CODE 35
    36 Cooling fan 4.26 TROUBLE CODE 36
    44 Bank angle sensor 4.27 TROUBLE CODE 44
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure 4.28 TROUBLE CODES 52, 53, 54 AND 55
    56 Cam sync failure 4.29 TROUBLE CODE 56

i changed the coil due to the code 24 and 25 it didnt make a differance. and the low voltage i replaced the battery. i never used any of that lap top stuff dont own 1. im near matamorous pa bout 45mins./so basically those codes will stay till 50 starts?/this forum is great i had the other problem on my way to occ in newburgh the neutral lite came on when i pulled the clutch in. would not start without the clutch in.THANK GOD this am someone had the same problem and must of been a buell tech/answered and i couldnt believe what he said the 7.5 amp fuse in the ACC in fuse box was bad or lose/mine tested fine with a test light but was bad inthe box/i put a brand new one in and i couldnt believe that fixed that problem/wow the switch i wasnt going to do lol.do you recomend the dupr9eix? when i looked up 03 xb9s it came up with the 8 not a 9. thanks

The 9 is one range cooler then the 8 people run the 9 so they don't hear the pinging.

ok il switch plugs/ what software do i get to clear codes the ecmspy? where can i find it?i spent days i checked the 77 plug under the cover put dielectric gell all are mint and clean does any one know want trigers these codes? it runs fine no dead battery no slow starts? it does do somthing weird tho only when i shut it off does the electiric fan come on even idling geting hot it dont come on. any ideas/ it just tured 8300 miles. this is sad.

Inactive
    this is sad.

the problem was a bad ecm

sandman, I would like to buy your bad ecm.

why would you want a bad ecm?do they rebuild them?if you reprogram the bad ground parimeter inside will still be the problem?

why would you want a bad ecm?do they rebuild them?if you reprogram the bad ground parimeter inside will still be the problem?
    I have yet to obtain a bad one, so no I don't rebuild them. But it may be possible.

In theory, on a properly designed piece of hardware and software, codes 52-55 should never happen unless there is a hardware issue. The service manual doesn't instruct the Harley Tech to attempt to reflash the app, calibration, or any other parameters to see if it fixes the trouble codes. The instruction given is, if these codes occur, replace the ECM. Having said that, I have an extensive background in firmware and hardware development, so I understand that the "replace" recommendation by the service manual doesn't necessarily mean the ECM is unfixable. It could be outside the skill set of how a tech is trained, or just may not be cost effective due to time involved. Replace, not repair, is s.o.p these days. However, I am suspecting there is a real hardware issue.

So back to my reason - I have several projects going on, one of which is a datalogging product that needs lots of testing on a variety of models and failures. I want to know what shows up in a datalog trace during runtime when an ECM produces any of the codes 52-55. Ideally, I want at least four ecms showing each type of failure, or any combination thereof.

I would also like to cut one open (removing lots of pot material), particularly one with code 54, and do a bit of chip-level diagnostics.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I explained a bit more here in case others are curious as well.