Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many miles is too many miles....

Hey y'all I posted a topic about a month ago about looking at another Buell. But that fell through now what I'm finding is a few xb12s with 24k on them. To me that's a huge risk. With that many miles to many viables in there. Question is how many miles is too many miles in y'all's opinion to buy a used bike.

I have looked in to prices of a rebuilt engine at all or even rebuildin a engine myself. Any info or opinions is all good help.

Inactive
    Question is how many miles is too many miles in y'all's opinion to buy a used bike.
    i've been around bikes for almost 50 years now. thru all that time i've seen jap/US/brit/italian/german bikes with 5000 miles on them that were garbage....and ones with over 50,000 miles on them that were cosmetically and mechanically pristine. the variables are: maintenance...amount of owners...storage...loving care bestowed OR unadulterated abuse....and quality of perishables used during maintenance and repairs. if i'm looking at a bike with the indicated true and correct mileage you've mentioned i want to know it's history which includes history of ownership, history of maintenance, and specifically how it was ridden. if the seller hedges on any of these reasonable inquiries i walk.

Thanks for the information. I'm looking at a 07 xb12s with 24k owner is asking $4500. Which is really high IMO. Trying toget all te details. He stated it was dropped and the handles bars were swapped that's all that needed attention.

I purchased a 1125 from a well respected forum member here with 30K+ miles and it was the best purchase I have made in a long time.

Ditto about the care and maintenance being more important than the milage.

I've seem some 1125cr I like but Idk enough about that rotax to make a good decision I've done some researching can't find out anything about longevity. This will be my daily drive to work. 106 mile round trip. 5-7 days a week.

Aren't you near MD? (Looking at the 9sx in fredricksburg?)

PM me if you want some options, I haven't listed some yet.

That one 9sx sold to a guy I know. It was a good deal.

I would think a XBS would be a much better choice for a commuter. Just for your butts sake! Not to mention better mpg and less 'high-strung'. Mileage on a 12 or 9 i wouldn't worry at all, 24K is just getting started:)

Inactive
    asking $4500. Which is really high IMO
    somewhat.....yes IMO. keep in mind that Ss longs and Ulysses sell on average for approx. 15-20% more than an S model. my recent sales:
    2006 ulysses...one owner...still a new bike...2010 miles...$4950
    2007 ulysses...one owner...like new...flawless...6050 miles...$4900
    2008 XB12Ss lightning long...excellent...5900 miles..orange krate transluscent with all the goodies..6100 miles...$5700.
    this is southern PA where nice buells fetch top dollar. offering this up as a measuring stick for you.

These engines are pretty solid and a lot of it comes down to how they're cared for. I know we have a few people on the board here with mileages over 50k and still running strong. I bought a Ulysses last year with 61k on it and aside from a gasket leak and needing fork seals, it runs strong and is in great condition. Hell we even have a guy here in Vegas with over 100k on a 12S and it runs strong and looks showroom new.

All of these bikes need love from time to time. It's all a matter of how much you're willing to put into to get what you want out of it.

You can find low mileage buells if you look long enough. When I was looking I saw 09's with less than 5k miles for around the same $ as that guy wants for his 07

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast