Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Steel Braided Oil Lines

What kona said.

Where you put the Teflon tape does NO good. That stuff should be reserved at most for pipe threads, IF that.
    I've NEVER used that stuff and have removed if from others oil and fuel pumps countless times.

It should be reserved for back most portion of the drawer of your tool box, and only there as a place holder for other stuff.
    It's NEVER used in the military around AN fittings, it shouldn't be used around cars or bikes either.

IF...you feel the need for extra sealer, a "little" Teflon "paste" is a much better product, but again, only on pipe threads.

Mike

I didn't drill out the adapter fitting to the same size ID -8 because it wouldn't leave very much material on the -6 side of the adapter. I've put 500 miles on the bike and rode continues for over 100 miles and didn't have any problems. I really don't think the oil flow rate through the cooler is fast enough for the adapter to cause any major restrictions.

I used teflon tape on the -6 thread of the adapter fitting because the oil cooler is not meant for a AN fitting (the threads on the cooler are metric) but the threads are close enough to match up with the thread pitch of a -6 AN. If I had some type of metric fitting with a groove meant to seat the O-ring perfectly I wouldn't use Teflon tape and that's why I didn't use teflon tape in between the adapter and elbow.

I've built countless number of automated machines and I used teflon tape on most pneumatic fittings with out a problem. Would I have a problem if I didn't used teflon tape? I don't know but I haven't had a problem yet so why change it. I know of to apply teflon tape correctly and that can be why I haven't ran into an problems (yes, you sure can apply teflon tape wrong). I think teflon paste sucks. Stuff makes a mess and it never seems to dry.

At the end of the day I don't have any oil leaks, bike hasn't grenaded yet, and I think it look cool. Do you need to use teflon tape, probably not but you can risk the chance of having oil leaks.

This is a pretty old thread but it caught my attention as I'd like to do the same. The Red/Blue is totally catchy and I loved it until i saw black and black - which would go well with the 2010 SCG Kick Ash. Has any body had any experience with the black nylon/steel braided materials?

https://www.ebay.com/i/352117003173?chn=ps

Greg

Just an FYI, AN fittings are very old school technology and the factory Jiffy-Tite fittings are superior in several ways. Don't get me wrong, I've got loads of AN fittings on my V8 Fords, but a real upgrade for the Buell would be to use higher quality PTFE lined stainless braid (or even the black textile braid) with new Jiffy-Tite fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Just an FYI, AN fittings are very old school technology and the factory Jiffy-Tite fittings are superior in several ways. Don't get me wrong, I've got loads of AN fittings on my V8 Fords, but a real upgrade for the Buell would be to use higher quality PTFE lined stainless braid (or even the black textile braid) with new Jiffy-Tite fittings.
    Thanks man!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12