Thread: Not Cranking/No Neutral Light

Hey guys, I'm working on a buddies 08 XB12R, he just bought it & I'm doing some maintenance & restoration on it. Sadly it's been a little neglected. This morning he said he tried to start it & it wasn't cranking. I went to check it out & the N light wasn't showing like normal, it wasn't even trying to kick the starter over. We were able to push start it so I know the bike is getting power, all lights work & it stays running. The only thing odd about the bike is the ignition lock cylinder is completely disconnected, there is a 2-prong On/Off switch mounted under the fuse block on the right. It's wired into a 6-wire connector that controls all power to the bike. When I turned the switch on, the gaugues power up and you hear everything power on, but the Neutral light won't come on like it did and no power is getting to the starter. I don't think I changed or even touched anything related to the starter or that switch. If anyone could chime in with some input I'd appreciate it, this is a new platform for me and I'd like to get this bike back to original!

I should add we did verify it was not in gear, & tried disconnecting the clutch switch on the handle with no results.

For a normal XB This info is in the F'ing service manual....

The neutral sensor has failed (behind front pulley)

Ground that out and I bet it starts right up, get a known working used one from someone parting out a motor

To ground it out disconnect the male from the female end and ground out the harness there on a bolt or something other than the starter hot post. Neutral light should come back on.

Idk if you guys have stuff **** rigged... But that's gonna be your issue

http://www.buellmods.com/downloads/v...-xb-r-firebolt
    Try the above link for the service manual. And as it was so eloquently stated above, try to get everything back to stock. At least all the wiring. Then you'll have a straight forward comparison for trouble shooting against what's in the service manual.
    Good luck