Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud clicking noise on start

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. Looking for a little insight on this noise. Loud repetitive clicking sound on start. Sounds a bit like the bike is struggling to start. It always kicks to life but it sometimes (especially when cold) makes this loud clicking noise. Not sure what it is or what to do about it.. Any ideas or input? 2005 xb9sx.

I checked the battery the other day, it seems to be in great shape and is fully charged so it's not likely to be that.

Did you get the battery load tested? How did you check it? Sounds like a battery going bad to me.

bad battery or terminal connections

Agreed. I had this same thing happen last year after I put in a new battery. It ended up being a bad "new" battery. I found that out after I tried just about everything on the buellxb laundry list - grounds, starter, relays, etc. In the end - just a bad battery. Good luck, I know how frustrating that can be.

Thanks so much for the responses guys! It's a newer Yuasa battery. I've had pretty good luck with them in the past. Terminals are clean and connections are tight. Must be a damaged or 'old' new battery. The way I tested was to simply hook it up to my battery tender, which told me that the battery was fully charged within about 5 mins, no surprise as I'd just charged it a month or so ago. I figured it was something other than the battery but as stamen pointed out I need to check the load to be sure. I don't have a way to do that right now but I bet you guys are right. Thanks again!!

Any recommendations on a new battery? I've been happy with Yuasa but always open to suggestions.

Deka big crank batteries are great.
    EXT14

It's common even on brand new motorcycles. The cold weather, or where they are parked (concrete, wood, grass) or buttons left on. New batteries will lose a charge real easy given the conditions. One way to remedy is to shock the battery. Hook it up to a charger at high cranking volts for about 60 seconds, without starting the bike. Then charge normal for a few minutes. Repeat the cycle.

There is a really good pdf for Yuasa HERE

Covers everything from self-discharging at temp, how to charge a "deeply discharged" battery" (considered that at 11.5V)! Only 4 amp max recommended.

I was surprised at some of the specs and how small they were. 1.8 amps for only 10 hours will discharge it, etc.

It may seem boring, but I geek out on numbers:D

Has anyone tried one of the X-rated batteries from ThrottleX?
    https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/S...20ED16600C96BF

Provides more CCAs than the Deka and is a little cheaper. Just wondering what you guys think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast