Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be blind! I hook battery backwards

I believe my starter fail, I pulled battery, cleaned and put on trickle charger. Pulled Primary cover, tossed battery back on "backwards" to verify that stater was not engaging...

I thought it was off fan was blowing with key off, then I relized what my blind ass did!!

10-15 seconds tops, never tried to start or even turn key on.

Of coarse there's a problem, key on, kill switch off, all is good. As soon as I flip kill switch, keys switch fuse pops???

I can't be the 1st dip shiy to do this.. Any thoughts????

Explain a little more please?
    I thought it was off fan was blowing with key off
    What was it?

THEN, you fixed the terminals to the right way.

THEN,
    Of coarse there's a problem, key on, kill switch off, all is good. As soon as I flip kill switch, keys switch fuse pops???
    Is that right??

Sorry my post wasn't very clear..

Your correct, key wasn't even in when I connected battery backwards.

After correcting battery, I discovered something popping fuse..

I was hoping for a main fuse somewhere before relys and fuse block, but, if that was the case I'd have no power up top,,,

Could that have damaged fuel fuel pump solenoid ?

Inactive
    shayne: i would be prepared to do the following and pray you didn't relegate your ecm unit to the dust-bin:
    1-check every single fuse including the diode fuse. remove 1X1, visually check and check with ohm meter for continuity. do same with diode fuse and figure it blown. it must be replaced with identical diode fuse and installed in correct direction
    2-remove all 3 relays...take to auto parts store...match up the blades and amp rating (embossed on top of relay) and replace. almost guaranteed they're toasted. they match up with common ford/chrysler a/c relays
    3-remove front pulley cover and unplug voltage regulator. referring to service manual check it. chances are it is also toasted.
    after all this have battery installed correctly and, turn key on, see what you have and try to start.
    nothing? you cooked your ecm

Lol!! Your the man!!! That's whatvi thought I had coming!!!

I will update after I finishe step 3!!!

Thanks for your info

But I'm wondering what would have 'fried'?
    Hooking the battery up backwards doesn't cause a short because the ground is now the positive circuit. The current just flows that way. Fuses won't care, lights won't care, relays won't care, the solenoid shouldn't care either.

Diodes won't like it but only on an energized circuit. The stator and the ECM have diodes:( Are they energized on a Buell with the key off?

I'd have to look at a wiring diagram. Just follow the Batt (+) and check those systems.

I remember some old european cars used a positive ground system, instead of a negative ground, But that was back in the generator days!

Inactive
    ^^^^^ i don't know all the nuisances cooter of reverse polarity and the behavior of electrons but posted up what i've found to work from past experience of repairing customers' bikes who made this same mistake. the components i outlined to check are traditionally what i've found to suffer from switched cables. yes on brit cars with positive grounding systems. i had a variety of mg's, sunbeam's, and triumphs as a kid with positive ground and in those instances crossed cables usually only resorted in a toasted distributor condensor and voltage regulator.

I think your right, everything you outlined falls within the specs of energized and diodes:( Bummer for him.

Me too! A TR3! and always wanted a Sunbeam Alpine. Why do I love those cars? I'm 6'3" 200lbs so I look like a circus act when I drive one. I even had an old 916 Porsche and got bugs on my forehead with the top off.

Inactive
    Why do I love those cars?
    like you cooter i loved those brit bombs and they remain a connection to my long-gone childhood. i owned a midget and a 60 bug eye sprite but have to tell ya cooter that the most ill-conceived and single worst car to work on that i ever owned was my 66 sunbeam tiger. damn nightmare of a car.

Lucas Ignition 12VDC positive ground. Light switches had three settings, OFF, DIM, and FLICKER. I've had my times of working on MG's, Triumphs, BSA's, Jaguar's. Fun cars and bikes, but no love lost. Remember a time when I was running SCCA Solo, a kid had a MG. He had it down to a science, If the car made a certain funny noise while he was driving he knew he had 45 minutes left before the car would die like clockwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast