Thread: Voltage Regulator Question

If I get the voltage regulator with the updated 77 connector pair for my 2003 XB9S (as listed on this website) will I have to tell the mechanic that they "need to crimp the INCLUDED connector onto the bike side harness to mate with the connector on the new VR"?

The reason I'm getting a new voltage regulator is because my bike, while cruising, will sometimes turn on the Check Engine Light and shut off in less than 2-3 seconds (not the bike, the CEL). I suspect it has to do with the connectors in the voltage regulator since I had the bike, the battery, and the battery fuse die on me while riding last year. After getting a new battery the battery fuse blew up, the mechanics checked it and found nothing but told me that if it was to happen again I should replace the voltage regulator. Seeing the check engine light come on while riding I suspect the same thing could happen again if I don't replace the voltage regulator with the new 77 connector. The battery fuse blowing up happens randomly.

Update: If anybody could recommend a worthy mechanic that knows how to handle Buells in the NYC area and maybe NJ, I would be greatly appreciative.

I still have the original VR on my '03, recently replaced the connectors with the updated kit. However, the original connector had no signs of failure lurking around. The blade terminals were clean and still looked new. Had my CEL flash a couple of times, but that was due to the front spark plug wire was loose from the coil. Those flashes happened before replacing the connector. Yes, the new connector will have to be installed on the bike side of the harness.
    old connector

new connector

Both sides have to be installed. Its fairly easy. I did one a firebolt I had. This was after the OEM plug (flat-style pin) arced out and burned up. It kept blowing the main fuse/J-fuse. Took about an hour. I ordered the upgrade package back in 2008 though, before they shut down.

I had already round inserts and the burn/arc as well... I took a complete different plug from railway at the end and they are fine for 5 years now....