Thread: 07 buell blast won't stay running

Hey guys, I've recently bought an 07 Buell Blast with 2,394 miles on it, i've put new signals on it, replaced the oil and oil filter, and even took apart the carb to clean the jets, when i bought it the owner said she hadn't ridden it in a little over a year because of a biking accident (on a different bike of course), it's got a brand new battery on it as well, the engine turns when I'm attempting to start it, and it will crank up (it sounds great while it's running too, just like a Blast should) my only problem is that it isn't staying running! it's driving me insane because i can't figure out why it won't stay running! My neighbor (who has ridden his entire life and lives to work on bikes) says that i should buy a carb rebuild kit off ebay/amazon, is that what i should do? i'm only asking for a general consensus, some people have said it could be the boot, others have said to check the seals on the carb and they all look fine, it will throttle up but then it dies out shortly after that… some one please help me! i just want to ride my new bike!

Don't buy a rebuild kit.

So it idles properly. Then what?

Does it die on its own after ~5 minutes or will it sit and idle as long as you leave it untouched?

What does it do when you lightly twist the throttle while it's idling?

It cranks, the engine turns, and if it manages to start, you twist the throttle and it will rev up very briefly. Once you let off the throttle it kind of sputters out and dies. Another mechanic that looked at it said it could be my slide in the carb. I checked that, it looked fine... Could my idle screw be too low for it to idle properly? I have refrained from messing with it because I'm not entirely sure how to tune them. Someone please help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpeterson159 View Post
    It cranks, the engine turns, and if it manages to start, you twist the throttle and it will rev up very briefly. Once you let off the throttle it kind of sputters out and dies. Another mechanic that looked at it said it could be my slide in the carb. I checked that, it looked fine... Could my idle screw be too low for it to idle properly? I have refrained from messing with it because I'm not entirely sure how to tune them. Someone please help me out.
    Idk if your problem is fixed now, but this sounds like one of two problems, the stock rubber boot that connects the carb to the engine is highly known to fail after a while, replace it stock or check out a aftermarket boot from Dans custom parts. He is a member on buellridersonline and has many aftermarket parts that he sells on ebay and the forum.

the other thing it could be is a kickstand safety switch if you look just above your kickstand you can see this switch. to find out if it is the problem you can always cut these, strip them and twist them together... this will PERMANENTLY disable your kickstand safety though.

I would try the boot first though as it is the #1 problem with Blasts and you are gonna have to replace it eventually anyways...