Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak from Clutch Cable

I have a 2009 xb12ss. The best I can tell is where the chin plastics have rubbed a hole in the clutch cable its leaking oil through it. Will the cable wick oil into it and that's why the oil is coming through it so all I'll have to do is buy a cable or do I need to look elsewhere for an actual leak running down the cable??

first, have you confirmed there is a hole in the clutch cable? if so, then yes, buy a new cable and o-ring for the cable.
    secondly, check the cable at the primary case, check if it's loose...PO may have not tightened properly with cable replacement? ...wipe the oil off from around this area and ride the bike for a bit and see if any oil is seeping from it. if so, then the o-ring needs to be replaced, possibly the entire cable if the ferrell/cable connection has failed.
    also, use a dremel and make a notch at an angle where the cable rest on the plastic, this will prevent the cable from rubbing on the plastic.

Inactive
    also, use a dremel and make a notch at an angle where the cable rest on the plastic, this will prevent the cable from rubbing on the plastic.
    OR simply put a nice multi-layer of black electrical tape wrap on your new cable where it rests against the cowling

^^^^^ that is what I had to do and it worked nicely.

OK thanks guys.. Going to get her cleaned up in a few and see exactly what's going on.. Thank you for everything. I'll keep updated

OK so got her cleaned up and rode. The oil is coming from the clutch cable. I guess now I'll be trying to get a cable and primary oil. Will I need anything other than that?? Clutch cover gasket or anything??

Inactive
    Will I need anything other than that?? Clutch cover gasket or anything??
    no. leave the cover on.
    here's a link with some pics and helpful info on your replacement. it's quite simple. be sure to correctly adjust both the clutch pack screw and the cable barrel upon replacement. any questions regarding those adjustments post back and i'll walk you thru it.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...ook-in-primary

OK so the cable finally got here. Send to the Harley dealer to grab it and figured I would get a bottle of oil to top it since it has been leaking. Asked what they use and he gave me a bottle of HD transmission fluid. I don't want to burn my clutch out so is this what I'm supposed to be using?? Ive read multiple threads on here stating in 04 and newer and I'm pretty confused at this point. I've seen not to use synthetics.. Seen to only use synthetics.. Seen not to use HD oil and to only use it. Any help would be nice before I'm replacing more than I already have to!!

don't use the HD transmission fluid, idiot at the stealership doesn't have a clue. use the same oil as in the swing arm. oil on the forum is like tires, owners preference. ran mobile 1 for years and recently put Amsoil in.

OK that's what I though I figured with the clutch pack in there I wouldn't want that stuff.thanks again thrstrmech!! If I get time this weekend I'll switch it out and let you know what I messed up haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast