Thread: Neutral or clutch switch????

I just got back from a ride and had a little issue. Second time in a week it's happened.
    While at a stop searching for neutral, we all know how easy that can be on an xb, the bike died. I released the clutch, pulled it back in and the bike fired right back up. I still had the bike in gear and found neutral shortly thereafter yada yada. This has happened once before. With clutch pulled in and my heavy foot missing neutral, during my attempt to click down... no wait I missed it... click up to neutral...ah crap back down again and my bike has cut out while I'm fiddling like a noob with the shifter. I'm thinking one of three things is going on:
    1) clutch switch is going out
    2) neutral switch is going out
    3) clutch needs adjusting.(will do this anyway since it's the easiest to take care of)
    What do you guys think?
    And please put the torches and pitchforks away. I just got back from a ride so I'll check the manual for trouble shooting procedures as soon as I post.
    Just wanted to hear ideas

What year it it? Got a kickstand switch you can bypass? If it's closing while not reading neutral and letting the clutch out… that would do it.

Or it sound's like it's just plain stalling on you. What's your idle at?

It's a 2007xb12r with a 1250 kit, cams and head work. I'm running a 2007 Buell race ECM.
    My idle is around 1050rpm.
    There's not kickstand switch on my rig.
    And I think it might be stalling. Just not sure since it happens so rarely. Now that I'm thinking about it....
    I need to check for an intake leak. My RPMs got hung up around 2k rpm the other day when I was out whaling on my bike. First time I'd really ridden it hard in a long time. And the first time this season the bike has gotten hot enough for the cooling fan to kick on.
    Ugh. Buell....
    Anyone have any experiance with the twin motors intake seals/flanges? I think I need to make this mod happen since my bike has had issues with intake seals since day one!
    Thanks for the response cooter.

You're welcome:D

If it's so rare it sounds like a small tuning mod. A stock race ECM on a 1250 kit should work pretty well but maybe just a tad more idle RPM or enrichment?

I had issues finding neutral when my clutch was too set just slightly too loose. Maybe give it an extra turn or two and see if that helps? You can always go back.

'Cause, looking for neutral and stalling at a light is embarrassing:( Haha

Come on cooter! I'm on an XB. I'm way too cool to worry about being embarrassed. Or is it that I'm too old.?
    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
    I have to set my idle as low as possible. I found that setting it any higher causes the RPMs to hang at 2k all the time.
    I'm still reading on the tuning thing. I know little about that scary abyss. But I too agree with you. I could definitely use a tune!
    Thanks again

Check your clutch handle. On mine l have had to replace it twice. The pivot hole gets oval out. It makes it hard to get a good clutch ajust also it might not trip clutch switch

I guess I should have posted a response to this a while back. It was my intake seals. Don't know how bad the leak was but I replaced them with genuine James seals and it's been good ever since.
    Anyway, I started a thread about the seals maybe that's why I forgot about this one.