Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong!? Electrical or Mechanic???

alright soo my xb9r firebolt's check engine light has been periodically coming on and going off and finally yesterday while messing with my brake light (separate problem see below lol) i disconnected my battery and was test stuff. so it was time to jam to work and she wouldnt start. i figured i drained the battery while messing with it so i let it charge on the trickle charger till i could start it. got to work, slaved for a few hours, went to go home and bike was dead. after having my insurance company (progressive) send two hella sketchy guys in a volkswagon with a handheld jumper to get me going i headed home. on my way home my check engine light came on, stayed on, till all my lights including all my dash and my headlights dimmed to almost nothing. THEN... tacks on my gauges stopped working and sat both at zero while im doing a solid 50mph. at this point im getting pissed and now it gets way WORSE..... my bike started loosing power and sputtering and lunging like it was fighting to keep going. this continued till i couldnt go any faster that maybe 10 or 15mph where it started lugging like i was going from no throttle to full throttle continuously. at this point im on a dark, narrow, busy road and my bike decides its done. it completely shuts down and wont start back up because (im asuming) my battery was still low... WHAT IS HAPPENING!?!?!? im thinking its my battery just because i have a cracked terminal from a shop i took her to and that its just not a tight connection. although ive sadly ridden with my battery like that for probably a good 3k or 4k miles so why would that be the problem now? basically what im asking is, is this my battery or some other electrical problem or is this a mechanical engine problem..?

PROBLEM NUMBER 2:
    i think i have this figured out but....
    so like a lot of buells i have found that my brake light works but when i hit my breaks (doesnt matter front, back, or both) it doesnt light up... ive come to find that it is a little mechanism up under my front brake lever is what controls the brake light when i brake. im pretty sure thats the problem but what is that piece called and how much do they run?

THANKS sooo much for reading through all my ranting and raving. lol please help!!!

Inactive
    problem #1- your ecm has stored trouble code 16.....your battery sounds like junk.....battery tenders do not sufficiently charge batteries.....battery with cracked/broken terminal should be replaced immediately. then test charging system for proper output. think i covered all your ailments.

problem #2-the little mechanism as you stated is the front brake light switch. common nissin part. the H-D/Buell part # is Y0820.9 suzuki part # is 57460-17C01 kawasaki part # is 98005-031 test by removing the 2 wires and with key and run switch on, jump the wires. brake light illuminates? bad switch. does not illuminate? something else awry.

If you are hitting both front and back and nothing happens you might want to check your bulb . Put new bulb in cheap enough to replace . The brake filament in your old bulb is probably broken. There are two switches one in front and one for rear if both are not working I would say bulb first. It is unlikely that both switches went out at the same time but stranger things have happened.

Yes great info above, a cracked terminal and low volt battery, will throw codes and not allow your bike to run, and yes check bulb first.

tail light bulb...#7528 @ auto zone about 5 bucks for a pair. just replaced one on my spare tail section knowing that both switches worked prior...it was the bulb.

Thanks guys I'll try that tonight after work!

Ok so that main problem is fixed.... It was the battery! Thank god.

Now problem 2.... Lightbulb changed and still the same... Where can I buy the break switch?????

If you read luntics thread you can get at H-D dealer or Suzuki dealer or a Kawasaki dealer their is part # for each. Or (Newcastle H-D) on line.

Inactive
    Where can I buy the break switch
    if using "word search" on any of the popular online H-D parts depot sites to make your purchase.....you might want to spell it correctly.

Lol lunaticfringe, it was super late at night when I posted that. Wasn't thinking straight enough to spell much lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast