Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking about hanging it up..

Well after some thought and talk with the woman (who rides her own bike) were thinking pretty hard about hanging up the keys. The road is just getting way to dangerous these days with every zit face teen facedown in there phone and every other car doing something stupid,make up, eating, insert random things here.
    With no laws being passed that are worth a damn its hard to know your risking your life every time we want an escape.
    What are some thoughts?
    Also if I do put the bike on a shelf how should it be prepped for long storage?

I understand your position and agree with teens having their faces buried into cell phones, but that also stems with adults as well. Here in Arizona, you can speak and drive, but cannot text and drive. To me that's just as bad, maybe going hands free like California would help, but that's open to debate. People here cannot drive worth a damn and make up driving rules for themselves as they go it seems like. Cops need to crack down on the bad driving and cell phone usage while driving, but they are just as bad at it.
    Have never had to put a bike in storage, so no answer to that question:p

Just do track days on the weekends. Believe it or not, your a lot safer on a race track than on a public road with on-coming traffic , gravel , oil , etc. etc.

I think about this too sometimes. In the DC area everyone thinks they are so GD important they drive like they own the roads.

Oh yeah thrstr I agree 100% I'm an ag mechanic and I drive tractors combines semis up and down the road and you wouldn't believe how many people almost hit me and are talking on the phone or w.e then I'm the a hole. But Illinois is hands free too and I'm down there a lot to and it doesn't seem to matter unless you have Cherry's and berries on the roof there still not paying any more ATTN.
    And masters I've thought about but I'm no racer and don't want to slow the other guys who paid good money to open it up. But I've never been so Idk how it works. .

maybe going hands free like California would help
    No, it doesn't. Instead of holding the phone up where they can somewhat see the road, it's down in their laps. They're more occupied with hiding the fact they're on their phone than they are with their driving or who/what is around them.

If there's no cops around, phones are out and it's horrible.

I won't try and persuade you about the dangers - they are real, and it's a personal and often family choice whether or not to ride.

If you decide to store the bike, first give it a good cleaning.
    Remove any dirt, debris and oil residues from surfaces.
    Apply Armor-All to the plastics and tires.
    Be sure to drain the existing oil and put in fresh oil before storage!
    Either drain the fuel (can be a pain) or fill the tank completely full, but nothing in between.
    Check the tire pressure occasionally.
    Keep a true battery tender on the battery.
    You may also want to disconnect the negative battery cable.
    Depending on where the bike is stored, small critters such as mice sometimes may take up nest, so just check on the bike when you can.

Every track day I've been to has an a,b,and c class. C class is mainly for the riders just learning the track. You don't have to be Valentino Rossi to enjoy just being on the track.
    If you ever get the opportunity to participate in a track day I highly recommend it.

Inactive
    hang in there because here's what's coming:
    the son or daughter or wife or husband or mother or father of a high-ranking US official is going to get taken out on a roadway by a texter/caller/lap-topper/navigator....or some other sort of electronic gizmo jerk-off operator.
    within days a bill will be introduced and expedited by congress and signed into law putting an end to this carnage. the solution is simple: any transmission signal emitted from within any vehicle shall shut down that vehicles' ecu.
    all gizmos shall have motion sensory encrypted into their programming. exceeding a maximum threshold speed shuts down the gizmo. implementing this is another story but it really needs to be done....AND NOW!

^^^^^^^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast