Thread: Top end rebuild

Curious if any of you have heard of/or have Hammer performance cylinders...I have an 03 xb9s and have looked into the 1050 Hammer kit? Good idea? Or should I have my oem cylinders bored? Any information from you buell vets would be greatly appreciated

I just bolted a set of Hammer jugs 1250 kit last night on my XB12. Also had head work, intake porting, Redshift cams, and pushrods from them. Quality of work is fantastic and so is customer service. They also give discounts so mention the BuellXB forum or me.

Waiting to get my headers back from the ceramic coating so I will have it back together in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the reply...for the price of the 1050 kit, bolt on, I could be back to riding in no time! Would you recommend throwing a set of cams in it while I have all tore down? My next question was who you would recommend for cams...Redshift?

For reference it took me about 2 hours to remove the engine and have it torn down to the case. Another 2 months ordering parts, getting head work, cam work, headers ceramic coated, etc. My ceramic coater found a crack in the headers so I had to send them off to get welded then back to the ceramic coater. Ugghhh. So far about another 2 hours in putting in back together and I am waiting on the headers to finish. Also dropped the fuel pump and installed new FPR, filter, and screen.

My cams were part of a package from Hammer performance. I got the 1250 big bore kit, custom grind cams, head work, pushrods, and gaskets from them. I sent them the cams and they shipped them to Redshift for the grind of their request. They shipped them back to me. I like it because I retain my stock gears to keep them quiet.

I also had to grind in the cam chest to clear the swing of the lobes. Had to grind on the top of each bore and a little on the pinion race. I used a Dremel with a grinding bit. Mask everything off, go to town, wipe clean, flush with brake cleaner, suck oil out of case, rinse with clean oil, and done. Not too bad. If you go with a mild cam you may not need the clearancing issues. Hammer has some great walk throughs on how to do it.

When I dropped in my cams and did a rough degree check they were spot on! Good sign.

Don't forget tuning when all done. Probably the most important. (Along with free flowing intake/exhaust)

I can't really give you a recommendation because it is based on how much you want to spend and how much performance you want. I would do head work before cam work and do both at the same time personally.

My opinion of order of mods (Of course many of these overlap)
    1. Tuning
    2. K&N Air filter and open airbox
    3. Exhaust
    4. Head work
    5. Big Bore kit
    6. Cams

I think it is best to think of your end goal and work backwards. No sense in throwing in cams if the heads don't support the flow. No sense in a big bore kit if you don't tune it. Etc. Save up to do it all together so it matches.

We had some good discussions on This Thread.

This Older Thread also has some good information about Big Bore Kits for the XB9.