Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-stroke oil experiment.

I got involved with helping guys in Brazil with the problems they have that are specific to Brazil and its fuel. They run a low octane fuel that is like 87 Octane and 20-somthing percent alcohol. It tears up fuel pumps quick over there.. They have fuel pump failure at like 15,000 kilometers! So, I suggested Marvel Mystery oil in the tank so they could get a bit of lubricant on that fuel pump but guess what? They don't have it over there.. so I started searching for some kind of a solution for them and found out that Hot Rod corvette and LS1 guys are adding a tiny amount of 2-cycle oil to their tanks at like 1 part per 600 with good results.
    They were skeptical so I performed the experiment myself. I added 22ml (.75 ounce) to a full tank of 94 octane.. I added it 10ml at a time to see if any problems would occur. None did, no smoke, no smell.. I took it out for a ride and I swear to god it seemed to run smoother and quieter. Like I said, Im not trying to get anything out of it , just trying to get them some lube on that fuel pump with the limited stuff they have in Brazil. One guy chimed into the conversation and said he had been running 10ml of cycle-oil per tank for years with no ill results. He said it was better to be safe than sorry.
    I have about 60 miles on it now and so far I haven't run into anything negative, here is a video of the experiment
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2QIWjX4P4Q

I have heard of this before.....apparently it does help clean up the top end.....used to do it with an old bike of mine with no issues. Synthetic 2 cycle marine oil is best from what I have read.....

check your plugs for hard shiny deposits on the insulator. The big issue is the rubber parts like fuel hoses and diaphragms (like in electric fuel pumps) react to the alcohol and start deteriorating unless specifically made for alcohol based fuels. In the US we have E85 gas available more and more. You see badges and stickers that state flex fuel compliant. These has rubber fuel systems made for alcohol content.

I used Homeliete premium synthetic .. seems to be working ok. My XB12 has a real loud fuel pump, Ill try it on that one next and see if it quiets down.

With the exception of possible premature O2 sensor contamination, there should be no issues.

I checked for 02 issues... the car guys said no.. at this ratio it is totally burned up and would only act like sea foam if it wasn't .

I've been adding 1.5-2oz of Marvel Mystery oil to my tank for the last 20,xxx miles. Very happy with the quieter fuel pump and how much smoother the bike seems to run.

MMO is light machine oil, naphta and wintergreen oil.... I have used it also but damned if this synthetic 2-stroke oil doesn't feel better. .. you learn something new every day.

I used Homeliete premium synthetic

Like Homelite chainsaws and yard tools?

EXACTLY.. that's what I had laying around and that's what I put in.. ran like a champ. .3/4 ounce over a full tank of 94 octane

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast