Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-stroke oil experiment.

the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The Genesis of our motors came from a time when gasoline was pretty raw. It could be that modern ultra-refined EPA-approved gasoline forces our top ends to run pretty "dry" compared to what the original design was doing with that original gasoline... adding some of that 2-stroke oil "dirties it up" a bit where it belongs (just like the good old days hahha)... maybe its acting as an analog for "gasoline classic"?

Mmmm the leaded days when gas was gas. I'm down I'll try it next time I fill up. It's about time to mix some gas for the weed eater anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised... get back to us on what you think.

Will do my xb12ss has a lot of top end clatter to it. I'm curious to see if it cuts down on the noise some. I've put mixed gas in other things before and it's never been an issue.... my mower runs better on mixed gas why not my xb. I had a honda xl 75 as a kid that I ran mixed gas in all the time that bike ran amazing!

yeah , just don't over-do it. 1 to 600 ratio.. so that's about 3/4 of an ounce in a full XB tank..That is what the Hot Rod car guys are running. as a side note, I found that Redline 20w-60HD or the Amsoil 20w-60 cuts noise down ALOT... and In Florida I can run it all year long. If you listen to my bike in that video you can hear how good it sounds.

This sounds pretty interesting. Do you think this might help with cleaning up the combustion chamber?

I didn't even know they made a 20-60 oil hummm.

Daring: the Hot Rod guys say that it does.. they are running similar bore and compression, some guys running heads like ours , so I think the XB still has a foot planted in the Hot Rod world.. they are saying that it goes in there and lubes stuff up and frees it ..kinda like sea foam.. but they run this **** all the time. One guy claims to have 150,000 miles on a LS-1 engine running this ratio of 2-cycle oil the whole time... he swears by it.

DSH: oh yeah and if you consult the owners manual it says SAE60 at anything above 80F... 20w-60 is even better than SAE because of better cold-starting. I switched to it over a year ago and wont go back, no way. The redline is Harley specific but the Amsoil is probably great too.

I'm new to v twins still learning I know my bike ran better when it was cooler out we have had a few 80 plus degree days already here in Illinois and it's going to get even hotter. I'm going to ask the local shop tomorrow if they can get the ams 20-60 if not the local HD shop will get a call they are 45 miles away.

Harley is going to charge an arm and a leg for it.. try auto zone , advance auto .. they usually have a motorcycle isle and oil for Harleys .. or "cycle gear" if you have a branch near you. I have run Redline 20w-60HD in temps as low as 60F with no problems, easy starting too. Once I put down my obsession with 20w-50, and went to 60 it just smoothed out like velvet.. (as far as Buells go hahah)

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast