Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-stroke oil experiment.

I got involved with helping guys in Brazil with the problems they have that are specific to Brazil and its fuel. They run a low octane fuel that is like 87 Octane and 20-somthing percent alcohol. It tears up fuel pumps quick over there
    The high percentage of ethanol in Brazilian fuel is undoubtedly related to supporting their huge sugarcane industry.

Having said that, it’s not that ethanol is somehow inherently corrosive or abrasive like many folks claim. It’s that ethanol promotes the build-up of moisture in the tank, particularly as the fuel sits & ages over the course of only a few weeks. This moisture is actually what causes fuel-pump damage.

This is where I become sceptical that the 2-stroke oil you’re trying will actually do much to prolong fuel-pump life. An additive like isopropyl alcohol (gasline anti-freeze) that absorbs or dispels moisture is what’s actually required.

There are also other, probably more important, factors which affect pump life including how dirty the fuel may be & how often the owner lets the fuel level run low. 2-stroke oil isn’t going to help much with these causes either.

As something even more to consider, there’s those out there who claim that the alleged damaging effects of ethanol on fuel pumps is just myth fabricated by the petroleum industry trying to protect its share of the fuel market from bio-fuels; who knows…

look at that video I just posted above... dude said he gets more like 37% alcohol out of the so called gasoline that they sell there..

You guys do know that ethanol is actually, by its chemical makeup, a good cleaner right? Like what was said before, it DOES attract moisture, and we all know what that does to electronics and metals. The two stroke oil is most definitely not killing anything. Experiments are there so we can find some answers- I definitely am watching this thread.

cleaning wasn't the issue , the issue is that at 37% the alcohol is tearing **** up...and the fuel map is wrong for that level. but that isn't important any more.. that video above is a video showing how to separate the alcohol from the gasoline at home.. that will solve the problem for them.

Im loving the 2-cycle oil so far.. nice top end lubrication from what I am seeing. Just waiting on everybody else to tell me it isn't my imagination..

I personally have been using the marvels mystery oil for two years now and it does seem to keep fuel pump noise down.. I also put it in my girls zx9 and have had no issues to date but she is a seasonal rider only I ride all year long.. we are in northern Virginia

So do we have some science to go with this? My pump makes a lot of noise so im wondering if this is going to quiet it down. Also , would the bike run cooler?

Yes, I have posted on this very topic a couple of times, here is the last time I posted:
    Fuell Additives
    When I first bought my Uly I ran TWC-3 outboard oil and what a huge difference, as I previously posted. I ran this for about 7K Miles and was mainly checking the spark plugs as my gauge & they actually look very clean. I did notice that the Throttle body and butterfly looked like it was forming some deposits and I then switched to MMO for the last 10K miles and it has stayed a lot cleaner as well as performs as well, if not better. A Gal of MMO at Wally World is less than $16, a little more than the standard marine oil at $12. I have been adding 2 to 4oz's of this stuff for the last 17,000 miles and it has been excellent! no side effects and or Negatives what so ever.

After posting this I wonder if an air cooled Buell XB12 runs too hot for standard outboard TWC-3 oil which is for a water cooled engine, thus causing build-up in the TB. The MMO has been a lot cleaner and not sure if it is because it can handle the higher temps. Maybe the Synthetic marine oil can handle higher temps and also makes it a good choice? Any opinions? I would be willing to try it if it is not too expensive? I originally considered the TWC-3 oil because it was ash less and for lower reving 2 cycle motors, but I did not think of the higher temperatures. Also I did run TWC-3, and now run MMO in the gas of all my cars for the last 2 years and it performs just as well there.

I am running only 3/4 of an ounce per tank...I am sure that makes a big difference. The Hot Rod guys are saying you just gotta run enough to make a difference but not enough to foul anything. They recommended 1 to 600 ratio.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast