Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 03 xb9 missfire at full throttle

I've been enjoying my bike on the track a bit lately and its been running fine but no long at wot. this all seemed to happen tonight while on a long group ride on the highway. couldn't tell while i was in the group due to all the noise but on my way home i tried a full throttle accel up the gears and once i get to full thottle the bike starts to misfire and won't rev past 6k in all gears. bike still starts and runs perfectly at anything less than full throttle. nothing as far as google for an xb missfiring like mine is but i did see some stuff on the x1 but didn't help much. ideas?

like i said 3/4 and below no issues at all and a clean rev up to redline but once i hammer it it falls flat. ill be checking the plugs and wires soon but all that was replaced not to long ago while i was chasing a bad idle long ago that was just a pinched wire. my bike was a lightning that was turned into a fireboat

any codes? may have either a fuel / electrical issue or both. do you have a service manual? follow the trouble shooting tree in chapter 4, under Misfire. check the fuel pressure, battery, battery connections, old/new battery? check over the basics for proper installation/connections/condition...plug wires, etc.

i do have a manual, and its the factory one so its very helpful as far as the diagnostics. ill look into it tomorrow. ill need to hurry if I'm going to make it to the track this monday.

battery is pretty new, like a few months but ill def check the batt and charging system tomorrow during my diagnostics for sure. bike still starts and idles perfectly and runs perfectly so long as i don't hammer it. its like an on off switch somewhere in between 3/4 and wot is there the problem starts, so I'm gonna check into the sensors too.

took it out this morn and found it will run at full throttle up to redline until warmed up, once warmed up blaaahhh. but only at full throttle, if i give it around 80 % it revs out fine. anyone ever had a GM 4 speed autotrans like the 700r4 not want to upshift at full throttle out of second unless you lift off the gas? my bike kinda acts the same way. when I'm accelerating at wot if i back it off the power comes back on and it accels.

Check your service manual for a trouble shooting procedure for the engine temp sensor. A failing temp sensor could cause the issue you're talking about. Especially if the bike is only having issues once it's warmed up.
    Could also be an issue with your O2 sensor. Have you checked what your AFR is before and after a ride?
    It's common to have the wires on those two sensors wear through and short out.
    Check em out just to be on the safe side.
    I know you don't want to hear this and I almost don't want to say it but the TPS could also be at fault. You getting a good signal from it? And have you tried to reset it once you've warmed the bike up?
    Just some ideas man. I hope it helps and doesn't just add fuel to the fire of confusion.
    Like Crash said earlier. You'll have to systematically check EVERYTHING.
    The service manual is your friend.
    Good luck

word. my sister suddenly needs a ride out west and I'm off tomorrow morning. ill get with you guys later

i found that the engine temp sensor wiring was indeed rubbing on the engine in two spots and the frame in another, but close examination shows no exposed wiring yet. i tested battery output and its fine 13.6 idle, checked fuel pressure engine running as in manual and its showing 50 psi. the negative battery terminal was slightly loose and I'm able to move the wiring thats attached to it so i torqued it back down. o2 sensor wiring was in good shape. I'm going to reroute the engine temp sensor wiring put it back together and retest. any other ideas? forgot to mention, no codes were stored.

also i have an 03 model year bike, which is bad news for me because i can't use ecmspy right? nor can i do the tps reset right? how would i test the o2 sensor without the ecmspy?

who told you that, I use ecmspy on my '03 and works just fine...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast