Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front brake and rear suspension Mods

Hello all,

On monday I attended a track day with my 07 xb12r. Had a few problems with the bike that I need to get worked out before I go out again with it.

First off my front rotor is shot! It was a bit warped prior to the track day but its now a bit worse lol. I have been looking at getting a new rotor for a while but need some input from people that may have raced these bikes or frequent the track days with them.

Any rotor or pad reccomendations??

Second issue is that the lower adjustment on my rear shock free spins so I was not able to really get the most of the suspension setup. Is there is a better shock from one of the newer Buells that would work well for track days? Easy to acquire?

I appreciate any helpful information.

Cj

Anyone??

HBC sintered

Get the EBR updated rotor mounting hardware if you don't already have it, It could be the rotor is still good, ASB sells a hone to clean it up. Rear shock, you want a Penske like this one that was sold on this forum. Penske rear shock

Get the EBR updated rotor mounting hardware
    good luck with that now that EBR is closed

For pads get the extreme pro ebc hh pads. They are a step above their normal hh sintered pads and are still very streetable. I run these and there was a noticeable improvement over the standard hh.

From ebc website
    The interesting part is that EBC offer THREE Double-H grade sintered pads, explained below:

Standard Double-H. Sintered copper and carbon alloy with 0.55 average friction level, designed for great brakes and lots of miles. A little harder compound is what we have here to give you the extra miles, these pads take 300-400 miles to bed in properly and don’t try thrashing these (or any pad) until fully bedded in.

EBC Double-H EPFA Extreme Pro grade. This is the next level up from the standard street going Double-H pad and has slightly more friction, better heat cycling and fade resistance. THIS IS THE PAD of choice for street riding with some trackday use. Costs a little more as this pad is cured in a VACUUM FURNACE which is a slightly more expensive and laborious process but well worth the few extra bucks.

New for 2011 the EBC Double-H GPFA range. The GP standing for Grand Prix. Absolutely the grippiest sintered pad ever. Been raced at Daytona and has a 100% thumbs up rating with racers. If you are ONLY doing track work, get these. They are NOT street legal and we strongly advise against using them on the street as they are simply TOO grippy.
    Second issue is that the lower adjustment on my rear shock free spins so I was not able to really get the most of the suspension setup.
    Do you mean it would change on you while you ride? There is a screw on each side of the lower rear shock. The one on the left side is the adjustment. Dont move the one on the right. If the left side wont stay put there is probably an o ring on it inside the shock. You could send it in for rebuild (racetech). The penske is always a good but $$$ option.

good luck with that now that EBR is closed
    Yes they are but that is the brand he can look for ether through a buell friendly shop that had it stocked or Al might have the kit at ASB...

If it turns out these can't be purchased, someone here should get on it and put a "kit" out. When I installed mine it looked like everything could be sourced individually. Expensive for one wheel but cheap if multiple packages for others were made up.

If it turns out these can't be purchased, someone here should get on it and put a "kit" out.
    I have considered doing that. The biggest thing is the rotor inserts would need to be fabricated as those look pretty specific to the application.

I'm interested in the EBR updated rotor mounting hardware as well. I have the front end pulse on my new machine, 09 xb9sx, and after reading all the good things about the EBR parts I hope there becomes a way to acquire them again.

I have considered doing that.Â* The biggest thing is the rotor inserts would need to be fabricated as those look pretty specific to the application.
    Simple square stock with two of the ends rounded, the whole may be offset up or down, can't remember. If it was done to say a 10 foot bar then the spacers were cut from that, it wouldn't be to bad. I'm sure you could already buy them for some other automotive application, they may or may not have the two ends rounded already but that could be done at a machine shop. I feel like I've seen these before working on cars in the past, or it may have been a specialty hardware store around here. The washers are Belleville type.

I agree about the Belleville washers but I'm not sold on them being square. It's been a while since I put my rotor on but this pic shows it nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast