, price, heard" /> Is it worth it to buy a Buell???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to buy a Buell???

Looking at a '03 Buell XB9R firebolt. Needs new belt & clutch cable. Price is good. Didn't know much about Buell other than I liked them, something different. Have heard no one is, nor will be, making parts. Is it worth it to buy a bike I eventually can't fix??? You guys are the experts. How hard is it to get hold of parts??? Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated!!!

Guys on here have parts if you need anything. Buellsterparts, Twin Motorcycles and American Sportbike have oem parts. Ebay has a ton of parts. As with any discontinued model, car, truck or motorcycle, parts will need to come from parts vehicles eventually.
    They're a riot to ride and there is still a strong aftermarket for engine parts to liven up the engine. I wouldn't hesitate. I have a 96 S1 and and 08 Firebolt and haven't struggled at all to find parts.

JUST DO IT!

Parts everywhere. It's worth it if reliability is something you value. No valve adjustments, belt drive means no adjusting or cleaning. Air cooled as well. These are all things that make it a good value to me. My time during riding season is valuable because of work. So when it's time to ride it's time to ride. A belt is easy to install. Very easy compared to a chain. and so is the clutch cable. Go get it and have fun with it.

Great! That's what I wanted to hear! This 03 is immaculate, cosmetically. If the seller is straight & all it needs is the drive belt & clutch cable. Even if I have to pay the HD shop to install I'm coming out cheaper than any are selling around my house! Thanks for the advice!

But I'm thinking I should be able to install both on my own & save about 400 in labor

Really easy to work on. grab it before someone else does. Make sure motor runs ok. If that does then you should be fine

Most parts you can still get new from Harley.

Make sure you post pics of the bike WHEN you get it.

If you don't mind doing your own wrenching these bikes are super easy to live with. UNLESS you pick up a basket case! But that would hold true with any brand. Only thing is it's hard to find a good shop/mechanic if you come across something you can't fix.
    My advice:
    Take a #27 to torx with you when you go check out the bike.
    Make sure the engine is not hot, touch the header, before you start it. You wanna see what it's like when it cranks over and gets warm.
    Try to go through the gears. If you can't confirm that the gear box is good to go then you might wanna walk away. If the gear box has issues it requires a TOTAL engine tear down to repair.
    Now back to that torx bit. Use it to remove the airbox cover and see what's going on under there. Chech out the airfilter, see if you can look under the airbox base to see if the rocker boxes are nice and clean. Early HD gaskets have been known to be unreliable and cause rocker box gasket leaks. In extreme cases some people have experienced base gasket leaks. Check that the idle adjustment screw/cable is in good condition. Look at the wires and coil.
    Remove the seat and see what the battery area and associated wiring looks like.
    Look under the front fairing. Make sure the wiring hasn't been hacked up for any reason. Inspect everything you can. You don't want to buy someone else's problems.
    Since it needs a belt replacement ask if the belt has been upgraded. If it hasn't been then try to use that as a point to talk the price down a little.
    I've owned my 2007 xb12r since new. I've done all my own maintenance and have never run into parts availability issues.
    BTW if you do buy it and replace that clutch cable be very gentle when installing it. The threaded furrel that goes into the primary is very fragile and does not require much torque. Over torque it and you'll find yourself buying another cable!
    Maybe I've rambled too much. Anyway, good luck with your purchase

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast