Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal??

OK.. So I bought a 09 xb12ss bout two months ago I think. I say I think because because the freaking thing has sat in my garage apart more than on the road. First the clutch cable.. Then the past two weeks its been down waiting to get plugs put in it.. Road it to work tonight and once it gets to half throttle it drops back to idle.. Drop throttle the pull it back and it'll accell until half throttle.. If I can find the procedure I'll try a tps reset before I head home but what the heck?? Are they all like this or am I just in a rut with mine?? I have two babies I don't have the time to fix it every week.. I love riding it when its running right.. But its never running right.. I'm about to give up on it... Anyone else tired of working on their bike non stop??

Knock knock knock. Nothing but sweet sailing here. Actually has been a very reliable motor, so much so I just got a XB12XT for touring on. Hope you get everything worked out. May be it would be worth it to drop it off to a Buell knowledgeable shop and ask them to just go through the bike like a 10,000 mile maintenance. Every time I buy a new one that's what I do. Then after I take it to the shop that once I do the rest myself as it comes up. Even if you had to save a little to do it. Better than dicking with it every week. Just my opinion. :D

No offense but this is why I tell people to do as much research on these bikes as possible before committing.
    Anyway. Sounds like all you need is a TPS reset. The procedure for your model bike is pretty simple. Look it up. I'd find it for ya if I wasn't at work.
    Also, did you adjust your clutch after replacing the cable? You sure it's the throttle and not the clutch causing you issues?
    These bikes are like any other vehicle on the road. If they have been kept up it's pretty much just basic maintanence to keep them happy. If they have been abused and there is no service history then you usually run the risk of owning a basket case.
    My bike was drama free for 37k miles. Then the crank bearing went out and I expected a few hiccups on doing my own rebuild. So far it's been about 5k since I rebuilt the engine myself and it's been fairly drama free.
    Jusy take a deep breath and find a service manual to help you out. Buellmods.com has downloadable manuals.
    I have three kids and I know the balance of time is a fragile one. However, I also enjoy the zen that comes from being left alone in the garage to do some wrenching. I also know the sense of pride that separates those of us that perform our own mainanance and understand our machines from those clueless clowns that just gas and go.
    Good luck with your bike. Once you get it straight it will all be worth it.

Yea I did a lot of research... Spoke to a fee guys on here.. I knew they are temperamental but dang.. I have a manual but its at home and I'm at work. Found it online though.. I guess mine had a rough start but I dunno. I want to wait andsee what happens to EBR.. If they don't go bell up I want a SX but IG this keeps up I'll have to do something sooner. And I'm ninty eight percent sure its not the clutch. It ran really well for bout three days after the clutch cable before the plugs started acting up.

When your bike is cold you don't rev it up, do you?
    I don't know about newer xb models but my 2007 does not like that kind of action.
    When I first got it I didn't realize that revving it up while it was cold would foul the plugs instantly. I made the mistake ONCE. That was 9 years ago. Haven't had plug fouling issues since.

No.. I used to be a auto/diesel mechanic so I know not to do some of that stuff... I've let it warm up both times now.. Did a tps reset before I came home and no change.. I dunno what the deal is.. Bout half throttle and its like I shut it off.. No check engine light.. Runs fine at adle and lower rpms.. But any throttle blows its mind...

Im starting to wonder if a throttle position sensor might be acting up? When it goes back to idle, does it happen at half throttle like you say or does it happen at a certain RPM? I know you said the clutch is fine, but please adjust it according to the manual. These bikes are like chicks that are way out of your league, You gotta treat them just right and they will make all of your friends jealous!

Inactive
    if it helps.....disclaimer.....NOT saying this is your issue....but if it helps:
    i have exactly the same machine being late 2009 Ss orange krate with 2100 original miles on it. did precisely the same thing. no codes....no leaks....no weirdness....no tell-tale signs of pending doom.
    was the IAT sensor switch

I'll look into the iat switch cause I'm at a loss of what is going on.. Dad bought an 09 firebolt so I'll steal the sensor off it and try it. Like I said I love the bike. Just tired of messing with it. I want to ride it not wrench on it haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast