Thread: "Homemade" ECMSpy Cable

Soooo... use to work at Klockwerks Custom Cycles here in mitchell, SD... anywho went there to ask about borrowing a cable to use with ECMSpy. turns out they don't have one. so i got a USB Cable and the Deutsch end ... cut off the "un"-usb end of the cable and got four wires... red, green, black, white... has anybody tried this? i basically just gotta figure out which wire goes in which spot. any help!!!???

There is a DIY thread, but you need to make sure it is the proper USB cable since the bike is 12v and will fry your computer if it isnt reduced with the proper plug to 5v.

http://www.ecmspy.com/steckermontage.shtml

Hey MillerBuell,

Im originally from sodak, up by Aberdeen. Live in Fayetteville, AR now. Has it warmed up yet?

You can't use a standard usb cable. You need a TTL-232R-5V usb. It converts the 12v serial to a 5v signal before going into the usb port on your computer. This is critical or you can fry your computer. You can get them from Mouser for around $20 is you only buy one. Cheaper if you buy in bulk.

ahhhh interesting... total buzz kill. i might as well just buy the "correct one" ehh? by the time shipping and handling and waiting a couple days all i'd be saving is maybe $10 or so...
    edipis: right on man. ya it's actually beyond gorgeous today. absolutely perfect riding weather. no wind and bout 78*. although i prolly would love to trade places with ya!

Found couple on ebay... wouldn't let me post the link says "word is too long" anywho are these legit ones!? says works for 99-08 Buell for the ECMSpy software...49.99 with free shipping..........

Wow, no wind... I don't remember days without wind in sodak. lol

If you want, I have an extra one I can ship tomorrow morning for $50 shipping included. Should have it by the weekend that way. Good construction. I might have the race EEPROM I can send with it also. What year/model is your bike?

chadlikness@gmail.com if your interested.

lol ya u ain't kidd'n man. no wind it was beautiful. hell it's 9:11 still and it's gorgeous out. just hit ya up with an email. thanks again man

Hey Edipis,

I live south of Springfield, MO. I have relatives in Fayeteville and Bella Vista. Looking forward to Sep....Sorry MillerBuell, didnt mean to jack your thread.

na' man ur golden... gots the situation taken care of... i think!!!???

I shipped your cable this morning MillerBuell. I will send tracking later tonight.

thanks mucho apprecation!