Thread: XB12R sitting for 2 years

I recently acquired a 2004 XB12R that has been sitting in a garage for two years, with all fluids in, and no stabilizers. The weather is fantastic out, and I want to get it into riding shape. Bear in mind that I'm not all that experienced in motorcycle mechanics, but I'm determined, and I'm doing my best.

Here's my current plan:
    - Drain the gas tank.
    - Purge the fuel lines.
    - Change the oil (cold) in the swingarm and the primary, and put in a new oil filter.
    - Check the spark plugs for deposits and correct gap.
    - Put in a fresh battery.
    - Replace the gas in the gas tank.
    - Add seafoam to the gas and to the oil in the swingarm.

If the bike starts once all fluids have been changed, I plan to ride it around, lightly, for a week or two, and then change the oil (warm) in the swingarm and primary again, filter included.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there anything I'm missing, that I should do before even attempting to crank the bike?

2. Rather than changing the oil cold, is it a better idea to initially keep the old oil in, try to run the bike after performing the other steps, and then change the oil warm? I'm worried about running moisture and overly gloppy oil through the engine.

3. Should I add seafoam to the primary as well? There seem to be conflicting opinions on this, but seafoam literature suggests that it's a good idea. Some people suggest putting Trans Tune in there, but (1) I haven't seen that recommended by any of the literature; and (2) if the only thing people worry about is possible clutch slippage, this doesn't sound too concerning to me, for my particular (short-term) application.

4. Since I have to purge the fuel lines without running the bike, my plan is to disconnect the hose coming from the fuel pump, and turn the fuel pump on and off several times, using the bike's main dash controls. Is this the best method? Or should i just suck it up and crank the engine?

Thoughts? I appreciate any feedback!

I'll let one of the other more experienced people here chime in, but I would be real cautious about putting seafoam in the primary because of the wet clutches. Might be fine but would talk to someone who knows better.

Why not open the primary, inspect, lube and go on... Drain the oil and run some cheap stuff until it gets to operating temp. Drain and fill with mobil synth. New filtert of course. As hot as the motors get any residual moisture should cook on out. Drain the gas. Fill with new. Sea foam and ride. It's a tractor motor. You will be fine.

Change the oils, new gas, lube top side of pistons with WD40, let sit overnight. Line top side again. Pull fuse to fuel pump, crank without plugs. To make sure nothing is seized. And move oil. Install plugs and start.