Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 XB9SX Potential buyer

Looking at a 2008 Xb9sx, 9k miles, what do I need to look for as far as wear N tear, worn parts? I have zero Buell experience, previous bikes were 2011 Ninja 250 and a 2009 GSXR 750

Are there many aftermarket parts? I am wanting this to be a project I can make my own and customize.
    I can't risk it being a money pit though :(

2008 9K miles? That should be sweet as hell. Its like anything else, cables , motor seals, bearings. XB's aren't "money" pits compared to the average Japanese sport bike... the parts are actually less expensive in most cases. Yes there is a "aftermarket".. all the good engine stuff is American custom companies like Hammer Performance or Dark Horse.... custom body work usually comes from Germany "Fight Machine" or "Frank's Germany".... with Buell don't think "Bulk Aftermarket ala Honda" think more, "cottage industry" kind of like in the old days. You can make a good custom out of what is out there. Here is one I came up with , its called a "Lightningbolt"

So I went ahead and finished the deal. Bike has 9177 miles, needs a new rear tire and he's buying me a new battery tomorrow. Has cosmetic wear/scuffs here and there, no major damage. He'll provide the original mirrors, it has bar ends on right now. Came with owners manual and both keys, K&N filter. Cost? I traded a PTR91 rifle with upgrades/ammo. $1000 rifle, $250 ammo, $350 parts, $400 optic. So $2000~ how'd I do?

I will have a MILLION QUESTIONS, I'm excited to be a part of this forum

I keep bar ends on it .. then I would put the lower standard S seat on it.. touch up paint for the frame is available and the price is good. He bent over backwards to get you to buy it... strange. Looks good.. tail chopped already too.. I have that same bike but 2007.. you got a newer generation of that motor, that's good. stronger crank and oil pump gears.
    at 2000 you STOLE it ... he must have been a friend of yours..

Gloom thank you for your replies, your bike looks great man. I never met him before the deal , claims to have no time to ride and I can believe it, as I have no time to shoot hehe we both work in the North Dakota oilfields so we work long hard hours.

I'm 6'2" 230 lbs and worry about looking like a goofy giant on this thing :( grips would definitely help! I rode it 2 miles home and definitely felt it in my hands. Besides needing a new rear tire, I have to buy all new riding gear $$$ :(

at 6'2" its just going to be like a pit bike with you on it.. no way around it. But you will be able to dominate that little thing in the turns. OH, suspension settings are paramount on the XB, its only got a 52" wheelbase. Regulate that suspension to your total weight including gear. The instructions are in your owners manual. If they aren't regulated they feel like ****. Get gear, and you will harden up to any vibration in a few days... really there shouldn't be hardly any vibration once the bike is rolling.

Yeah I got the Harley Select seat on my SX and I painted the subframes and triple clamps black... got rid of the passenger pegs and all that. At your size you probably wont be carrying any co-riders so you can drop your co-rider pegs and save a few pounds. Aftermarket exhaust and race program in your ecm really wakes the 984 up. You need to get the ecmspy cable for this bike so you can access the ecm and all that the program can do for you. 2008 I don't think is fully supported by ecmspy program but that same cable can be used with other programs I think it was tunepro or something like that. Get the bike set up for the race program and it will be a lot hotter.

I'll have to start a new topic when I have time.I got the bike hone and it wouldn't start back up again, I'm assuming it's just an old battery so he's buying a new one. I hope there's not an issue with the charging system.
    Are there aftermarket front and rear turn signals for my specific bike? I believe the ones on it are stock and I dislike them. Also, need a new rear tire, might as well get front and a rear at the same time. Any tire suggestions for mix of highway and city? Up a size in the rear or leave it stock?

stock tire sizes.. leave it.
    if the battery is dead, its all over.. bc of that type of stator you cant jump one back to life.. if the battery is good but drained you can but if if the battery is dead and wont take a good charge, its over..

aftermarket turnsignals all over ebay.. go LED conversion.. you will need a resistor or the conversion. I think it was EP45 they have them at autozone and advance auto for like 10 bucks,

XBs like Pilot Power 3's by Michelin and a few other like Diablo.. stuff like that. I am trying out the new Sportmax right now with good results.

:D anymore PTR's?

whats a ptr??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast