Thread: belt/pulley update

i have a question hope somebody can shed some light on it for me/have a 03 xb9s lightning with that 30t front and 72t rear/they sell a update kit/27t front 65t rear/ and they did this on the 04 and up and was stock on the 03 up firebolt//does this give you more top end? or what does it do that they changed this? can i put a 04 firbolt set up on my 03 xb9s if i get the 2 pulleys the idler and the belt cover? thank you/i read alot bout them orange wheel bearings and i have them so i ordered ntn 6006ll bearings for the rear so i figured il do both if that update makes a differance. thank you for any help

I have no idea if the smaller pulleys will fit (my guess is yes) but based off the tooth numbers you have provided, the final reduction would be the same between the two setups and therefore would provide no change.

well they say the 03 has a weak belt and thin the 04 is a up date/well im going to remove the rear wheel to replace the bearings so il do the update kit then. thank you/

sandman3577...ok, here's what you need to know about the original belt for the '03 models: Gates manufactured the original belt which weren't the best, then Goodrich began making them, a much better belt over the original. belts are 155 tooth with an 11mm pitch using a rear sprocket of 72 teeth and transmission sprocket of 30 teeth.
    now you're going to hear crap like upgrade to the '04 set up or install a chain set up cause the '03 set up sucked or whatever. what people seem to forget is the fact that the '03 model was the first run of the XB line and just like the automotive industry, the next year yields refinements/changes over the previous year model. if it weren't for the '03 models, the others wouldn't have followed with changes. ever heard of improvements, well the '04 model, the '05 model, etc...
    there's nothing wrong with the '03 set up as it is, except the original Gates belt. new belt by Goodrich, P/N: G0500.02A8R. I ran my original belt for 66,600 miles with no issues and past the belt onto another forum member that needed one. only changed the belt due to age and mileage and figured it was time.
    my belief with why people have or had issues with the belt breaking was by several factors, but not limited to these: environment, maintenance, and how they rode the bike. these are machines like anything else, if you don't maintain them and or do abuse them, sooner or later something will give.
    believe me, believe me not, but 9 years of riding the same bike from 2500 miles on the clock to now less than 40 miles from rolling 70k, just saying.

Simple answer...it's basically the same gear ratio either way. The update was for better belt geometry with swing arm travel. However, that kind of depends on your riding style. If you just want a good replacement...get the Goodyear belt and be done with it.

I just got a new belt from new castle hd cheapest price I could find,and shipping was fast, I had it in 4 days including the ordering day.

Sorry it sounds like an add, I was really happy with their service, and communication, and wanted to share
    Thanks New Castle hd

theMelvster6...thanks for the correction on the name, had the first part of it right;)

ztied...second that about newcastlehd.com, great Buell supply point and the parts guys go out of their way to find what you need, at least over the phone.

I've also had good luck with surdyke.com if you're looking for good prices.

well i guess i should of posted my concerns earlier/i have that goodyear belt on my 03 i bought the 04 front and rear sprocket 27/65 idler pulley/it looks like the pulley bracket is allittle differant pitch so my wheel is better i hope i can use the 03 idler wheel?i hope i ordered the correct belt for the 04 upgrade 1-1/8-14mmpitch-128 teeth? dayco? and the plastic belt guards look way easier there only 3 pieces with no inner to box the belt in like 03? let me know. thank you

so you already had the new Goodyear belt, yet got the '04 sprockets, idler pulley why then?