Thread: idle and tps adjustment

Hi

I just bought a second hand xb12r firebolt 2005 and very happy with it despite the big difference to my previous Jap bikes.

The bike suffocates a bit on pullaways and I have realized it is the idle adjustment.

However, the idle adjustment screw will only move the REV's up to 0,95. Then the screw will turn no more.

I took it to the dealer afterwards to check the ECM. They claimed to have reset the TPS, but that they had to open up the bike to get to the idle adjuster device in order to increase the REVs as per manual.

Is this true? Is it not possible via adjusting the TPS via ECMSpy?

Where can one get such cables delivered internationally (to South Africa).

PS This bike was a gray import from the USA, but I read that it automatically compensates for altitude etc via ECM. Is this completely true or are there some steps one need to take?

Thanks
    D

First off you have a dealer in South Africa? Damn its hard enough to get one close here in the states.

As far as the other info you should be able to get a cable it will just cost a bit more on the shipping and follow the ECMspy software and or manuals which can be downloaded from the top of the page.

I believe the dealer would be adjusting the TPS via their own ECMspy type software. It can be done no problem search the forum a bit and everything will be explained or wait a little longer and someone else with more knowledge on ECMspy will fill you in, I still need to get the cable and software.

hey dewetd, welcome on buellxb.com

as far as i know the ecm does not automaticly adjust changes in altitude, that is probably why you are at the end of the ilde adjustment.

you can mail-order the cables or make them yourself. if my guess is correct, someone will come along and offer you a cable for about 50$

where are you from, j-burg, cape, etc?
    there are a few on here from s.a.

Hi

I read in the manual that the O2 sensor makes adjustments (altitude) automatically.
    I think if it is blown the engine light should go on?!

Still not sure whether some ECM setting maybe also could cause the low idle.

Thanks for replies.
    I'm from the Cape, but staying in Johannesburg these days.

Ciao
    D

Hello, I see you are very good at this,, my problem is not the same but is related.
    I can not find the idle screw in my xb12r 2004, can anyone help?

argira, the idle adjustment screw is between the left side air scoop and the frame. If you look there, you will see a small round knurled adjuster knob with a hex socket in the center. Use a hex key ( I forget which size, 3/16"???) to turn it. If it is stiff to turn, you may have to pull the airbox, filter etc to get at the rest of the cable to spray it with penetrating oil to loosen it up.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers :D

The bike suffocates a bit on pullaways and I have realized it is the idle adjustment.
    A Breather Reroute may help with that: Crankcase hose reroute

Where can one get such cables delivered internationally (to South Africa).
    Ebay, and most sellers ship internationally.

Welcome to the Forum Dewetd. :D