Thread: Actual Mechanic Eyes Needed.

05 Buell XB12Scg (race ecm, jardine, breather reroute, K&N)

I am not a mechanic, while I have learned a great deal about my bike, I would be lying in stating I'm a mechanic. Just decent with a wrench.

I just overcame some issues with installing a new fuel pump and thought I was in the clear. But I soon had a issue with her stalling after start-up, but after a few minutes on the road she would be ok. But as soon as I stopped, and let her cool off, she would idle terribly/weakly and sometimes stall. But if I was able to get her moving a few feet she would stabilize a little. But she would randomly stall at lights.

I thought I had fouled the plugs, so I took a look and decided to replace. She burned through whatever crude there was, as I could see white smoke when I did the tps reset. Seemed to have solved my issue. Next day went on a ride and she seemed ok. But seeing my fuel light trip pretty quickly had me worried. I had already put 40 miles on the bike before I left to meetup and when I got to the gas station I saw I had only gone 75 miles. Burning fuel.

Refueled and went on a ride. It got hot that day on ACH and she again seemed ok. All day, no real issues, until I got down the mountain and got a drink to chill and wait for others. I didn't refuel as I was at 65 miles and no fuel trip yet. Started her back up and I got a little further down the road and she surged forward a couple of times and the CEL kicked on...but soon after it chilled out. The fan was running all the way till I got home, probably another 30 miles till I got home. But once I pulled up and turned the bike off, the fan stopped. This seems like a symptom when I had overfilled her with oil and fouled the O2 sensor. But not the case of overfilling her now.

But when I did have the issue with the fuel pump I did give her throttle to try to keep her alive when she wouldn't stay on. But that was because of a o-ring issue with the fuel regulator, which I solved. But I'm not sure if I could fouled the O2 sensor by doing that?

I just got a chance to start her up and plug EcmSpy just to see what my numbers were. And this is where I need a little help in looking at these numbers to make sure things are in order. I know my TPS is a little higher (6.3) but it wouldn't stick at 5.9, it would fluctuate between 5.9 - 6.3. And I'm not sure, but I think my cold start enrichment is high? Dunno.

Previous stuff done:
    new intake seals
    new fuel pump/regulator/filter
    new rocker gaskets

Just done:
    new plugs
    new TPS (autozone TPS213, replaced because it has a lifetime warranty. Those guys hate me. Hah!)

Checked:
    battery connections
    ground connections

Sorry, I unplugged my netbook from the bike and the program timed out. But I just turned the key to grab some info.

There were no codes. Thank in advance gents.
    [img]null[/img]

Well, I have almost an identical problem, except I get a 34 code for the IAC after the idle smoothes out. Only 08+ bikes have IAC's though.

I replaced my IAC, checked the wires, and no results, it is only connected to the ecu. So, I bought an ecu today, but think it might be the o2, picking one up this weekend....

Good luck, and hopefully you can figure it out. I will let you know what I find with mine.

log a ride...not too far from the house just in case. then run it through mego log viewer and see if anything gets wonky by watching the log run.

see if anything gets wonky
    is that like hinky? LOL.

Did you reset the tps when you replaced it? The calibration will very likely be different from sensor to sensor.

The engine temp says its 17°C in this screenshot with an air inlet temperature of 22°C. What was the temperature outside the day you did this? Do those seem like reasonable values to you? If it was running at all that engine temp seems low to me. I wouldn't expect a higher temperature in the airbox than in the rear cylinder head.

I did perform another TPS reset with the new unit. The bike was off and I did not turn it over, didnt have time to dig into it. The weather was mid 70s and the bike was under a carport.

I replaced my o2 sensor and it had a nick in it, which could have grounded out and the o2 sensor end was covered in white. Which is, from what I found on the internet is referred to as "Silicone Poisoning", another form of fouling. Possibly when I used WD40 to clean headers, as WD40 contains silicone.

Did TPS (which she idled stronger and looked liked problem solved), and set off to test ride. She almost bogged from the start, but soon after the idle sounded great and normal. But I stopped (30miles keeping her around 3.5k) to let her cool off and see if my problem was still there, sure enough. On startup, weak struggling idle and a few stalls. But riding a little bit, no real issue. Then she surged and the CEL came on and went out. Made it home, checked the bike and no codes.

I'm lost.

if you have a race ecm you should set your tps at 4.6 degrees at 5.1 % and then go for a ride in your screen shot you are set to high and your bike will not run right . I know you said you reset it what did you set it at?

Ok, I fixed my issues, which were the sporadic idle at startup and poor performance and fuel economy. I had replaced the intake seals, and it got worse, so I finally replaced them again (probably could have jus reseated them, but I have a box of them) and the problem is gone.

You said intake seals were done previously, how long ago and by who? They might need to be redone.

I finally got a code. #23 It's for the front injector. I did replace the injectors and now it states the code #23.

So I am checking my wires and will replace the injector to the old to test.

My initial start is great and the ride continues well. But as soon as I start the bike from a cold start (stop at a rest point) it starts all over again.

Will update when I replace.

Thanks for the update!

Cheers!