Thread: Belt noise after bearing change

So swapped wheel bearings put everything back together everything torqued to spec and now the belt seems to make a creaking clicking noise on the back sprocket. Is it possible that being apart and put back together that everything needs to kind of settle after a few rides. I'm also getting a squeak from the tension pulley that wasn't there before removing it. Seems weird both noises started after reassembly. As stated torqued all bolts axle to spec

My belt will do the same thing after a tire change or what not. Whenever I remove the belt from the rear pulley the belt will creak and click ever so slightly when pushing the bike forward or backward in the garage. After the first ride it seems to settle back into place and not make a sound.
    As far as the sound from the idler pulley; check the bearing. If it spins freely and has no excessive movement, just give it a little oil and see if that makes the sound disappear. If the idler pulley bearing has excessive free play or has difficulty spinning freely, replace the bearing.
    I've seen a few posts on here that included a part number for the bearing and a how to. You'll have to google it to find it on the site. If you haven't figured it out yet, the search function doesn't work so great.
    Good luck

The search function is horrendous compared to ex500 forum especially using a phone more than CPU but great to know about belt I thought that might be the case just needs to resettle and pulley spins good I'll try some oil on it to help it along

Inactive
    they tend to do this....some more than others. you can put a floor jack and plate under rear area of muffler....lift rear tire slightly off shop floor...and lightly....repeat.....lightly....fog a bit of silicone spray onto the inner portion of the belt at bottom of same while rotating tire in forward direction by hand. typically quells the weird noise. if it continues i would lift it back up in the same manner....remove rear axle pinch bolt.... loosen rear axle PRECISELY 21 TURNS...remove front pulley cover...remove pulley. then check pulley bearings to be certain. they are very easy to replace. pay attention to spacer for same. it only goes in from one side. also the surface area of the pulley is factory coated with a silica nitride hardened finish. if it is worn off the pulley must be replaced.

I think next time I change tires or remove belt I'm gonna mark the belt and pulley on rear to place in the same spot maybe the noise is from parts of the belt being on different teeth maybe every tooth of sprocket has imperfections that the belt settles on with use. But any silicone spray can be used on the belt? It won't cause any issues?

been there, done that

Inactive
    I think next time I change tires or remove belt I'm gonna mark the belt and pulley on rear to place in the same spot maybe the noise is from parts of the belt being on different teeth maybe every tooth of sprocket has imperfections that the belt settles on with use.
    highly unlikely but not a bad idea for peace of mind.
    But any silicone spray can be used on the belt? It won't cause any issues?
    no. but common sense prevails. a light fogging as i described then wheel rotation is sensible. if belt is "noisy" or loud squeal or squeak persists a problem exists that needs to be remedied.

Thanks lunatic. I sprayed a multipurpose pb lube on the belt to test for the squeak and it seems that it is coming from the belt itself only on the front pulley. Seems to be touching the edge of the front pulley. I took axle out 15 turns pulled tensioner and moved belt in sprayed the lube and put back together spun tire noise gone but belt tracks to edge again and the next day it makes the noise again. I'm thinking its just time for a new belt 17 k on the stock one and it edges are getting some wire exposed and a small crack on as well. Sucks that they are 175 bucks for a belt tho. Know anyone with better prices with an 03 belt preferably the updated 03 belt. I'd swap to 04 belt and pulleys but its a ton of cash to do that I'll just keep up on the 03 belts