Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Re:) Build

Let's skip the bull**** and move right to the meat and mashed potatoes. Long story short, I lowsided the 1125 off the side of a mountain.

Luckily (I still have no idea how), I emerged relatively unscathed and with very little damage to the bike considering. Through this I have been EXTREMELY impressed at the overall durability of the bike and the foresight and ingenuity of the engineering team that designed this motorcycle. The bike was not only designed to go fast and do it well, but it was also well engineered to wreck well. For the most part. lol.

Came around a sub-90 degree right turn at a pretty good, but comfortable pace. The turn felt great, just like it had the 10/12 times I had gone through it earlier, but suddenly I was sliding. I’m still not sure what caused it. Hard contact on the right side, slid across the other lane just past the apex, luckily no oncoming traffic. I’m still on the bike at this time. Then we slid off the side of the road, over the shoulder and off the side of the mountain over the ravine. The drop off from the road was very steep; you could hardly climb up it. Myself (still on the bike) and the bike were now upright swan diving off the side of the road straight into a fallen tree, the front tire hit and the bike flipped forward throwing me off and forward, I landed further down the hill and slid into a tree with the bike right behind me. Luckily I was not smashed. Eventually we both came to a rest about 20-30ft vertically down from the roadway. I’m honestly completely surprised I even survived let alone walked away with minor injuries. I was wearing full gear. Luckily.

Here are some pictures of the damage. They don’t quite do it justice but you get the idea.

Snapped front forks and steering stem.

Boogered up the lower steering head bearing. Luckily the steering head and frame is all still straight!

Broken left upper subframe mount

Fairing stay and front end destroyed.

Clutch cover needing some love.

Broken left side K bracket’Radiator mount. From the break on through the frame and engine mounts the bracket is sound.

Mangled oil cooler

Exhaust. I'm pretty sure that the exhaust saved the engine from being thrashed by the front wheel being rammed into it. Kind of neat how everything worked out to protect the engine and frame.

My front wheel was completely broke in multiple locations and the rotor is bent to hell. It will make a nice clock on the garage wall :)

Anyways, I'll be updating this thread with the work I have completed to date and as I work on her in the future. I am looking to be complete within the next 2-3 weeks. Then I can get it back on the track I'll be as detailed as I can be on my rebuild process and try to keep everything documented on here as I go. I am using this opportunity to rebuild the bike into what I believe the bike should have been from the factory. It will be a new bike when I am done.

Ride safe guys, and for the love of god people, wear your gear.

I've got a clutch cover if you need one. Glad you made it through it okay.

Damn. Glad you are OK. If I had parts I would gladly donate to you.

Glad to hear you're okay.

That should buff right out.

wow scary. Glad your ok, was this at hocking hills?

Holy ****, man! Really glad you're ok. Seeing that bike just makes me sick...

Where was this? Its pretty flat over on the west side. Was it Hocking Hills?

No, this was in the Tennessee smokies. The good thing was that it was a hell of a lot easier to load into the truck at that condition LOL. Didn't have to worry about scratching the plastics :p

Thanks for the kind words all, I'll get an update or two in tonight.

Glad your still good and glad your bike is going to get fixed! I have a set of forks that have bad seals and the chrome on the bottom is pitted and small amounts off rust. PM me if you want them.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast