Thread: Removing kickstand sensor on '03 question

When I update to the new kickstand for my '03, I know I won't be able to use my kickstand sensor (which I am annoyed about because it has saved me a few times from taking off with the kickstand down). I am too type A to just have a sensor ziptied somewhere that isn't in use. If possible, I would like to remove it completely from the system, all the way back to the computer. Has anyone done this, or (even better yet), has anyone found a way to have an upgraded kickstand and still employ the sensor?Thanks.

is your '03 an affected unit by the side stand recall? the recall affected the low model, is that why you're upgrading?...there's a thread with all the info about it. and no, have not read of anyone removing it entirely from the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by thrstrmech View Post
    is your '03 an affected unit by the side stand recall? the recall affected the low model, is that why you're upgrading?...there's a thread with all the info about it. and no, have not read of anyone removing it entirely from the bike.
    I didn't know about any recall - I bought it last year. I'm just getting ready to start another round of mods and I have the original style (break prone) kickstand. Mine is the low model, so I'll have to look around for the recall thread - thanks for the heads up. (I doubt though that they would still repair a '03).

you can still buy the new side stand, it will have an "R" stamped in one of the two locations. one, on the top of the pin where the spring is attached on the side stand. two, on the top of the foot base, where the leg is welded to the base. mine was a low model as well 'til I swapped out the suspension and side stand for standard set up.

I checked the HD recall website, and nothing pops up with my VIN. When I searched for Buell kickstand recalls, I see recalls for '04 and '05, but none for '03.

I plan on buying the shorter upgraded kickstand from ASB. When I go to install it, does anyone know if I can remove all the wiring for the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by qurtrn10 View Post
    When I searched for Buell kickstand recalls, I see recalls for '04 and '05, but none for '03.
    There were at least three bulletins for the 2003 XB9: B-047, B-048, and B-052. The bulletins list dates affected but I don't see VINs. If you can't find the bulletins in a search, let me know.

B-047: "The Buell Motorcycle Company has elected to replace all sidestand legs on XB9R motorcycles, manufactured through July 9th, 2002..."

B-048: "This campaign involves all 2003 domestic and international Buell XB9R motorcycles manufactured from August 6th through September 4th and any XB9R serviced under the BP8 Sidestand Replacement Program."

B-052: "This campaign involves all 2003 domestic Buell XB9SL motorcycles manufactured between February 18th through March 5th, 2003."

my bike was originally a SL and built in Feb '03, but don't know if it was built during the stated dates.

My kickstand came in today, and I plan on making the swap on my next day off.

So back to the original question - My kickstand sensor will no longer be in use. Do I have to zip tie it somewhere, or can I remove the wiring completely from the harness?

(I hate unnecessary wiring)

I haven't done this but am interpreting from the service manual...

If you tie the sidestand sensor wires together, it will complete one of the ignition relay ground circuits, as if the sidestand were retracted.

If you leave the sensor connected but not "activated" (ie, like the sidestand is down), you simply lose one of the safety interlocks. The ECM ignition relay can still be grounded by the clutch and neutral switch.

Hope this helps.

Well a new complication has been added to the equation. The upgraded kickstand from ASB has an extra threaded hole for the Euro spec bikes which have (wait for it) a sidestand sensor. I'm researching now to see if I can just lengthen my current sidestand a few inches to the new hole and retain its use.