Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Buell owner, laundry list of issues

So for many years I've been a Buell fan. Owned my share of Yamahas (R1 & Warrior), Hondas etc...

I couldn't resists when I saw a 2005 xb12s for sale. Offered the guy $2,700 (listed for $3,500) after about a week he finally called cause he was desperate to get it gone. (workmans comp issues) maybe that should have been my red flag?

Too late now I got her. Its everything I want in a sportbike except for the problems it seems to have...
    Here's what she is... 2005 xb12s, 22,800 miles, race exhaust, race ecm, K&N filter, holes drilled all over air box

I'm located in Colorado (Altitude)

The problems...
    Changed oil, primary, cleaned air filter... All dirty<-- I hate un maintained bikes!

-runs horrible at 10% throttle, idles fine and when your on the throttle hard it pulls great. There's no gently rolling on this throttle as it pops sputters and wants to die. Very annoying

-After its warmed up it wants to hang at 2k at idle. Warmed it up to operating temp today and adjusted back down to around 1050 rpm's so hopefully that issue is gone

-fuel pump doesn't cycle and shut down with key on, ignition on. it just stays on. After hunting down others having this issue it sounds like it may be some frayed wires or a new fuel pump is needed. Either way it sounds like I need to drain the tank, remove swing arm and pull fuel pump.<-- wasn't thrilled to read that. Sounds like a winter project if it makes it that long

-Front brake vibrates- not sure if this is a normal thing for Buells. Haven't looked that one up yet

Not that I have any money to do it but I'm considering just taking it to a local Buell performance place and having them throw it on a dyno and figure out what the stuttering problems are.

I've looked through all the standard websites that seem to get thrown out for maps but there doesn't seem to be any. Plus I'm guessing for my altitude I'm not gonna find much.

I'm going to invest in the ecm plug and do some research but it seems like its getting too much fuel not enough air? I'm not sure I'm smart enough to start messing with fuel but I have read through ECM spys user guide so maybe I'll play a bit.

Anyway this site seems very useful except it seems I can find a lot of people with the same problems but they don't often seem to report back what the fix was??

Anyone have solutions to issues above mainly the pop and stutter issues I'd be super happy!

Tps reset may help with your throttle issues and can be done easily with the ecm cable you are planning on getting.

Fuel pump can be changed out without removing the swing arm and you can get a new equivalent pump for dirt cheap on Amazon or a local parts store (Auto Zone, etc).

Front brake shouldn't vibrate, maybe it's warped, if not, put new pads on and flush and fill with new fluid and see if it goes away.

I tried doing the manual TPS reset today but no change not sure if doing it through ecm spy is better? Sounds like the plug is worth buying either way.

I just want to ride and not spend every waking second troubleshooting but I guess I bought a used bike so it is what it is.

2005 has to be done through ecmspy or similar program, 2008+ can be done without.

Ah Ha! Good to know! Thanks

I'll piggyback on neilrl79's comments...

On the fuel pump behavior, it almost sounds like pressure can't be maintained. But that wouldn't explain why "when your on the throttle hard it pulls great". The service manual will have you disconnect the ECM to see if there is a short to ground on the BN/Y wire; if the pump still runs continuously, there is probably a chaffed wire. This commonly happens inside the frame. Here is an example.

The TPS Zero procedure is a maintenance item on your model. And with 22.8K miles and dirty air and oil filters, I would bet that procedure hasn't been done either. I sell the cables if you are in need (see my profile). Until the TPS zero is done, all other troubleshooting of engine performance (apart from the potential fuel pump issue) could be skewed. And the ability to see and record live data while the engine is running (or trying to run) is an extremely valuable diagnostic aid.

Okay sounds like my fuel pump issue is the same as your link. Good to know. Looks like that's a project that needs to be done sooner than later.

I was going to order a plug today. I'll check your profile.

Thanks for the help. I knew if anything Buell support would be awesome through the forums!!

I just turned it on and I can change the pitch of the sound of the pump just by wiggling the exposed wires leading into the the pump.
    I'm guessing that's more clues of chaffed wires.

Yikes! The soldering of wires at the fuel pump connector inside are also prone to issues.

Just ordered your data plug readyxb!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast