Thread: New Buell owner, laundry list of issues

Hybrid View

So for many years I've been a Buell fan. Owned my share of Yamahas (R1 & Warrior), Hondas etc...

I couldn't resists when I saw a 2005 xb12s for sale. Offered the guy $2,700 (listed for $3,500) after about a week he finally called cause he was desperate to get it gone. (workmans comp issues) maybe that should have been my red flag?

Too late now I got her. Its everything I want in a sportbike except for the problems it seems to have...
    Here's what she is... 2005 xb12s, 22,800 miles, race exhaust, race ecm, K&N filter, holes drilled all over air box

I'm located in Colorado (Altitude)

The problems...
    Changed oil, primary, cleaned air filter... All dirty<-- I hate un maintained bikes!

-runs horrible at 10% throttle, idles fine and when your on the throttle hard it pulls great. There's no gently rolling on this throttle as it pops sputters and wants to die. Very annoying

-After its warmed up it wants to hang at 2k at idle. Warmed it up to operating temp today and adjusted back down to around 1050 rpm's so hopefully that issue is gone

-fuel pump doesn't cycle and shut down with key on, ignition on. it just stays on. After hunting down others having this issue it sounds like it may be some frayed wires or a new fuel pump is needed. Either way it sounds like I need to drain the tank, remove swing arm and pull fuel pump.<-- wasn't thrilled to read that. Sounds like a winter project if it makes it that long

-Front brake vibrates- not sure if this is a normal thing for Buells. Haven't looked that one up yet

Not that I have any money to do it but I'm considering just taking it to a local Buell performance place and having them throw it on a dyno and figure out what the stuttering problems are.

I've looked through all the standard websites that seem to get thrown out for maps but there doesn't seem to be any. Plus I'm guessing for my altitude I'm not gonna find much.

I'm going to invest in the ecm plug and do some research but it seems like its getting too much fuel not enough air? I'm not sure I'm smart enough to start messing with fuel but I have read through ECM spys user guide so maybe I'll play a bit.

Anyway this site seems very useful except it seems I can find a lot of people with the same problems but they don't often seem to report back what the fix was??

Anyone have solutions to issues above mainly the pop and stutter issues I'd be super happy!

Lowkey your right. It was just a long bad day. Was hoping I bought a bike that was cared for as I care for my bikes. The only POS is the guy that sold it to me.

I'll know the bike inside and out and that's good when you got a hot rod motorcycle.

The axle tool is not in the bag or under the seat. I tried a 13/16 socket tool and there was more slop than I care for. Made my own with a 22mm bolt, Pinch bolts are loose. Need a solid cheater bar and a step back, breath and I'll get it done.

Just a bit nervous that even with slow pressure the axle bolt will snap. Sprayed penetrant and let it sit for a few and nothing.

Haven't tried heat yet. Always makes me nervous.

Looks like I bought an end of summer bike. It'll be that much sweeter to ride when I complete the work.

So quick follow up....

Got everything back together! Fuel pump is fixed. The old fuel screen was in a million pieces. What a mess.

Pulled the throttle body. Ended up replaced throttle cables. One was falling apart.

Gonna order the belt next week.

I took it for a gentle test ride today. Brake shudder gone after cleaning and scotch brite. Idle is perfect. No stutter at low RPMs

One I get the new belt I'll be set.

This website is the best! Thank you guys for all the help.

Glad to hear your getting the bike sorted out

Ughhh I guess I spoke too soon.

So I've been just using the bike on short trips. Every quick ride is another test. Everything has been running fine save for an annoying stutter from full stop once in a while.

Anyway the positive battery cable bolt had stripped so I replaced it and mounted the cable to the top of the battery. Still no problems running good but the seat was getting caught up on the cable. So the other night I moved the cable so it's clear of the seat. Bam it idles horrible runs like crap and back fires on decel.

TPS reset and it's all good. Next day same problems idles horrible backfires etc... TPS reset and it's good.

Today I take it for another ride. Runs like crap. I'm like really do I have to reset this thing every time I want to ride???? Screw it I do another reset. Still runs like crap. 2,3 resets still runs like crap. Now it won't even idle.

Is my TPS bad? WTF??? FML