Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Burned a valve....

I would follow gbalias, guy knows a thing about Buells and tuning!
    I briefly reread this post and one thing I'm wondering is if you've gone though all the wiring to make sure there is nothing shorting out.
    It almost sounds to me like the front cylinder spark plug wire has a short in it.
    Also the back firing through the intake could be a symptom of leaking intake seals.
    You said you performed a TPS sweep. Does that mean you reset the TPS via the service manual? I think a malfunctioning TPS or improperly set TPS would also cause the intake backfiring.
    Start a check list of all the simple things that could be wrong and start checking off all those that pass inspection/testing.
    Keep us posted on your progress. You'll be helping someone else out down the road.
    Good luck

ignition is the 2nd place id look after the fueling/injector.

the AFR would be rich if it wasnt igniting in there though..... but it would still probably show a large temp differential.

Quote Originally Posted by gbalias View Post
    in regards to tuning ignition maps......was this done on a steady state dyno with throttle position & rpm feedback to dyno pc?
    Yes.

Please dont think that I am unappreciative in any way, I apologize if that's how I cam across. After all I am here looking for outside input.

In looking at the values of the factory race map (which has a lot of maxed cell ranges in itself) and the map from the dyno session I dont see where its possible to get more fuel from the injectors unless there is some secret base injector setting that I am missing. Im no expert with ECM Spy here by any means.

As far as the TPS sweep that was questioned, I used the program to see if there were any dead spots in the TPS signal.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmech View Post
    ......Compared the map to the saved tuned map and nothing significant had changed. ......
    i had a question regarding your comparison of maps.

you have a map on the tuning pc that you burned to the bike. that map is the one you went to the track with, right?

after the issues you opened the map from the bike and compared it to the map on the computer and you say "nothing significant had changed" ...what do you mean by this? the map shouldnt change at all, ever....unless you burn it. so if there was changes....something weird is going on.

youll get more fuel if the injectors are clogged (or faulty in some other way) now and you replace or rebuild them.

but lets not stop at injectors. the entire fuel system is suspect. do you have a way to splice in a pressure gauge to watch it while you ride it?

do you have a wideband and gauge? that can also help

Quote Originally Posted by gbalias View Post
    you have a map on the tuning pc that you burned to the bike. that map is the one you went to the track with, right?

after the issues you opened the map from the bike and compared it to the map on the computer and you say "nothing significant had changed" ...what do you mean by this? the map shouldnt change at all, ever....unless you burn it. so if there was changes....something weird is going on.
    Once the bike was off the dyno I downloaded the map from the ecu and saved it.
    When I came off the track I downloaded the map and compared it to the saved map just to see if anything was different. Now these changes I referenced may have been my own error as I created an excel sheet with the map/ign values that i may have put the wrong number down. This was also before I discovered that i could open both maps at the same time.

youll get more fuel if the injectors are clogged (or faulty in some other way) now and you replace or rebuild them
    You lost me here...

I have an Innovate WB on my car but not on the bike. I do have the megalog HD viewer (have only tinkered with this)

I was thinking about making something to check the fuel pressure as well. At this time I do not.

the map you had on the ecm after dyno (which wasnt altered by you prior to going to the track) should be identical to the one you pulled from the ecm after the track. there is no way the bike would have changed any values in any of those cells. that is, what i would consider the 'base map'.....all correction factors are a multiplier of values in that table(s).

Quote Originally Posted by cjmech View Post
    I dont see where its possible to get more fuel from the injectors

i meant you can get more fuel out of the injectors if they/or one of them indeed is faulty in some way.

i use the innovate in one of my cars too, but i also have one permanently installed in bike. i then transfer the actual gauge between the two when i needed it on the buell, otherwise it lives in the car.

try and get a fuel pressure reading if its not too hard. other option would be to log it and use the scatter plots in MLV as i did to help you pinpoint fueling....but thats only effective with the WB.

Ok, so I got a new used coil and wires today. Checked the resistance on the wires and made a set with the lowest resistance in them. Still not running on both cylinders... I pulled the intake off and spun the motor and both injectors are spraying fuel. Spark is strong at the plugs.... Im thinking CPS....

Still looking for how to check the thing....

ECM spy shows the trigger but pulls no code for a missfire. Or any other code for that matter....

Ideas?

Have you checked the static timing?
    Just a thought.
    Your bike is an 07 right? I have a CPS you can try out. If it doesn't work out or fix your issue send it back. If it fixes your bike, keep it.
    One Bueller looking out for another.
    PM me if youre interested.

Yo cj! Not sure what is going on with my pm inbox but I am only getting emails that the box is full even though I deleted 250 old messages from it yesterday. Sorry man. Copy/paste what you had and post it here. Id like to help!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast