Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: done with this bike

Stick a magnet in the swing arm and move it around a bunch when you pull it out it should be clean. If it looks like a disco ball you need to worry. Have you checked the primary chain?

my buddy who is a certified Harley tech
    With all due respect to your buddy, I'd put more faith in my Mother-in-law's motorcycle expertise than I would in some of the Harley techs I've met. I've seen some horrendously incompetent work come out of Harley service shops over the years...

Unless previous owners were negligent in their maintenance on your bike, you shouldn't be having serious engine failures at such low mileage.

I do agree with everything ststed above and with more time to think I am getting calmer. The drain plug had very little metal on it when I did the oil change and I don't see how it could be a rod issue but the noise is from bottom of motor when i held stethescope to everything. I'm gona let it set a few days so i can calm down before looking into anything. I dont think previous owner did anything due to how clean the bike is but its hard to tell. If I take a video how do i get it up for some other opinions? As far as my buddy goes I have worked side by side with him part time over the past 10 years and we have built some wicked big twin motors and he was even recognized by Mike Seate in a magazine article before he moved up to my area so I'm sure we can ge to the bottom of it, just really frustrating. Little bugs i dont mind fixing from time to time but a new to me toy that seems to be a lemon really sucks. Thanks to all for advice and opinions, sorry for being so angry at first.

Don't forget some lower end knocks turn out to be loose primary nuts on the crank....

Quote Originally Posted by shawnd View Post
    Don't forget some lower end knocks turn out to be loose primary nuts on the crank....
    In was about to say the same thing. Mine makes some noise ever since I bought it as 10,000 miles. 25000 miles now and still going strong. These buells make noise.

If you listen closely you can hear the rhythmic knock ,noise etc. Its been like that from day one.
    https://youtu.be/1LEtGxDZXgU
    Last edited by DualSportDad; 07-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.

yes your bike is American, but it's not a Harley...so separate the two please. you and your buddy could have the engine removed from the frame in about an hour, top end and lower can be broken down in about the amount of time. a parts tray, sharpie, zip lock bags, and sticky notes are you friends. if you have a solvent tank, even better being able to clean everything up for inspection. check the oil pump (gear), replace with the upgraded one which run about $97 and complete engine kit (gaskets and seals) run about $120 depending on where you get your parts from. newcastlehd.com is my #1 parts supplier, best online prices...surdyke.com is 2nd, there are a few other places to go as well. Also Al from ASB can help with both tech help and parts too. stick with her, these are really great bikes...9 years on my '03 9s with race kit also.

If you didn't see any shavings on that plug then I doubt you have a knock. Im starting to think its a loose Primary chain or loose bolts on the Primary like the other guys are saying.. XBs are tanks, you are probably ok.. just chill out and look into it..

I did adjust the primary chain even though it seemed tight to me but no change there. I'm going to pull the primary cover off when u get some time and see where that leads. I know is a buell and not harley but really is the same basic motor once ya get past the better stuff so I'll figure it out, honestly the noise could have been there from day one and I didn't notice it. I'm gonna figure how to post to YouTube and get a video soon too. Thanks again for all the advice and everybody calming me down on this.

yeah, chill the **** out.. haha

its never as bad as you think it is.. and even when its REAL bad, its STILL not all that bad... thinking and worrying about a problem is worse than actually solving a problem most of the time.

on a hot day, even with 50 weight oil in it a XB can make a lot of racket if you aren't used to it.. SAE60 or 20w-60HD Redline will quiet it down if you are running above 80F weather...

https://youtu.be/-7Vrn1GTkpY here is a link to a video I took of it at idle. Any thoughts if i'm losing my mind or actually hearing something are much appreciated. Oil was changed using 20w50 mobile 1 synthetic and wix filter. Magnet in the swing arm didn't even have enough metal on it to show up in picture but a a little, seemed no worse than my trucks drain plug at every change. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast